Medicated feed legislation
Medicated feed contains a premix of veterinary medicinesand requires veterinary prescription. Sometimes, it is the most effective way for a farmer to give medicine to his livestock.
The Commission regulated the conditions for mixing veterinary medicine into feed, its marketing and use across the EU in Directive 90/167/EEC .
This directive will be revised.
Its transposition in EU countries led to differences throughout the EU for manufacturers and farmers. Some provisions are not in line with developments in feed and veterinary medicinal products legislation.
See report on medicinal feed in the EU.
DG Health & Consumers is launching a stakeholder consultation:
"Smart Regulation of Medicated Feed - how to safeguard public and animal health while increasing the competitiveness of the EU's livestock sector".
Stakeholders and interested parties involved in:
- Research, production and marketing of veterinary medicinal products, medicinal feed and compound feed;
- Livestock farming in the EU;
- Animal health and welfare including the prescription of veterinary medicinal products;
- Public health and consumer protection, especially with regard to pharmaceuticals.
31 March until 30 May 2011
The Commission consults stakeholders to see what issues could be improved by smart legislation, and outline the policy options.
Stakeholder input will feed into the impact assessment of the revision of the Medicated Feed Directive.
Background information and the questionnaire are in the consultation document (in English only). The system allows 90 min. maximum to complete the questionnaire.
Read the introduction before proceeding to the questions.
How to submit your contribution
- Submit your contribution through the online questionnaire.
- Answer all compulsory questions once you begin filling out the questionnaire.
- Your reply will be lost if you exceed the time limit of 90 min.
- Partial responses will not be saved.
Following the consultation
All contributions and a report analysing the replies will be posted here a few weeks after the consultation closes.
Unit D2 - Animal feed