TRACES (TRAde Control and Expert System) is a trans-European network for veterinary health which notifies, certifies and monitors imports, exports and trade in animals and animal products. Economic operators (private sector) and competent authorities all over the world can use this web-based network free of charge to trace back and forth animal and animal product movement. (decision 2002/459/EC).
Take a tour on our TRACES presentation, which illustrates the different TRACES policy areas, clarifies the TRACES functional tools, shows the output resources and offers you a hint of TRACES' past and future.
Find a TRACES leaflet
TRACES has 2 essential services:
TRACES makes it possible, in accordance with the relevant EU rules, to:
- Produce and exchange certificates, related to animals, animal products, by-products, semen and embryos, in 22 official EU languages, based upon the last consolidated model.
- Cover following political fields:
- Animal health
- Animal welfare (EU only)
- Public veterinary health
- Help the competent authorities to take veterinary/sanitary decisions for approval or rejection of the consignments presented.
- Notify the competent authorities at origin and destination, of all stages in the journey plan made by the consignment.
- Keep track of animal health, welfare and public veterinary health inspections on the consignment, carried out during transport or at destination.
- React rapidly to possible health threats or epizootic risks by retracing the movements of the consignment.
- Obtain statistical information and reports on data inserted in TRACES.
- Speed up administrative procedures between competent authorities and with economic operators (private sector), via its online interface.
- Pre-notify competent authorities, in case of import, into the EU, and speed up formalities at the border. ("Access Non EU countries").
TRACES incorporates the nomenclature code, currently used by the World Customs Organisation (WCO), so that it can interact with other systems around the world.
See "Contact / Join TRACES" for TRACES related questions and to join TRACES or becoming partners.
Visit 'Export Helpdesk' for all questions on non veterinary/sanitary matters like market access, VAT, customs…