Fisheries sector: data collection
EU fisheries management relies on data collected, managed and supplied by EU countries under the Data Collection Framework.
The newly reformed common fisheries policy (article 25(2)) sets out the key principles for data collection:
- reliability and timeliness
- avoidance of duplication through improved coordination
- safe storage in database systems
- improved availability of data
- compliance with laws on personal data protection
- access for the European Commission, enabling it to check the availability and quality of data and the methodology used to collect them.
These principles are central to a Commission proposal for a revised Data Collection Framework regulation which is scheduled for publication in April or May 2014.
Council Regulation (EC) No 199/2008 on a framework for the collection of data in the fisheries sector
Commission Regulation (EC) No 665/2008 applying Council Regulation (EC) No 199/2008