European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF)
The EMFF is the fund for the EU's maritime and fisheries policies for 2014-2020.
It is one of the five European Structural and Investment (ESI) Funds which complement each other and seek to promote a growth and job based recovery in Europe.
- helps fishermen in the transition to sustainable fishing
- supports coastal communities in diversifying their economies
- finances projects that create new jobs and improve quality of life along European coasts
- makes it easier for applicants to access financing.
Financial allocation per member state
How it works
The Fund is used to co-finance projects, along with national funding.
- Each country is allocated a share of the total Fund budget, based on the size of its fishing industry.
- Each country then draws up an operational programme, saying how it intends to spend the money.
- Once the Commission approves this programme, it is up to the national authorities to decide which projects will be funded.
- The national authorities and the Commission are jointly responsible for the implementation of the programme.
The Common Provisions Regulation
In December 2013, to maximize the effectiveness of European Structural and Investment (ESI) funds (which include the financial instruments for cohesion policy, rural development and fisheries), the Council adopted the Common Provisions Regulation. This regulation sets out a common set of rules for all ESI funds. This includes provisions concerning conditionality, performance review, arrangements for monitoring, reporting, evaluation and eligibility rules.
- Questions and answers
- Community-led local development (CLLD)
- Synergies and coordination with other funds [38 KB]
- Committee and Expert Group on the EMFF
- European Structural and Investment Funds
- Contacts [147 KB]
- Commission Implementing Decision of 11 June 2014 setting out the annual breakdown by Member State of the global resources of the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund available in the framework of shared management for the period 2014-2020 (notified under document C(2014) 3781)
- REGULATION (EU) No 508/2014 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 15 May 2014 on the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund and repealing Council Regulations (EC) No 2328/2003, (EC) No 861/2006, (EC) No 1198/2006 and (EC) No 791/2007 and Regulation (EU) No 1255/2011 of the European Parliament and of the Council