The European fisheries fund (EFF)
The European fisheries fund (EFF) provides funding to the fishing industry and coastal communities to help them adapt to changing conditions in the sector and become economically resilient and ecologically sustainable.
The EFF has a budget of €4.3 billion for 2007-2013. Funding is available for all sectors of the industry – sea and inland fishing, aquaculture (the farming of fish, shellfish and aquatic plants), and processing and marketing of fisheries products. Particular attention is given to fishing communities most affected by recent changes in the industry.
Projects are funded on the basis of strategic plans and operational programmes drawn up by national authorities. There are five priority areas (axes) for EFF funding:
- adjustment of the fleet (e.g. to support scrapping of fishing vessels)
- aquaculture, processing and marketing, and inland fishing (e.g. to support the shift to more environmentally friendly production methods)
- measures of common interest (e.g. to improve product traceability or labelling)
- sustainable development of fisheries areas (e.g. to support diversification of the local economy)
- technical assistance to finance the administration of the fund.
- Guide to EU fisheries policy [2 MB] – see chapter 13 ("Support for an industry in transition") [143 KB]
- Fact sheet on European fisheries fund [147 KB]
- Report from the Commission - Fifth annual report on implementation of the European Fisheries Fund (2011), COM(2012) 747 final
- SWD(2012) 424 final [103 KB]
- Report from the Commission - Fourth annual report on implementation of the European Fisheries Fund (2010), COM(2011) 927 final
- Report from the Commission - Third annual report on implementation of the European Fisheries Fund (2009), COM(2011) 37 final
- Report from the Commission - Second annual report on implementation of the European Fisheries Fund (2008), COM/2009/0696 final
- SEC(2009)1714 [38 KB]
- Report from the Commission - Annual report on implementation of the european fisheries fund (2007), COM/2009/6
- Working paper on ex-ante evaluation for the EFF [148 KB]
- Working paper on indicators for monitoring and evaluation: a practical guide for the EFF [92 KB]
- Videos presenting projects managed by Fisheries Local Action Groups (FLAGs) using Axis 4 funds of the European Fisheries Fund
- Sustainable development of fisheries areas: guide for the application of axis 4 of the EFF [424 KB]
- Implementing axis 4 of the EFF: some useful questions and suggestions [68 KB]
- Tools for launching axis 4 of the EFF [227 KB]