What is available
Agricultural production data refers to vegetable and animal production that is made available for human consumption and animal feed.
Crop production data include:
- main crops (dried pulses and protein crops, root crops, industrial crops, plants harvested green)
- vegetables, melons and strawberries
- permanent crops (fruits, olive trees and vineyards)
- agricultural land use for utilised agricultural area (arable land, permanent crops, permanent grassland, …)
and refer to:
- areas under cultivation (cereals and main crops), (expressed in 1 000 hectares),
- harvested areas (vegetables), (expressed in 1 000 hectares),
- production area (permanent crops) (expressed in 1 000 hectares),
- harversted production (expressed in 1 000 tonnes) and
- yield per hectare (expressed in 100 kg/hectare)
Animal production data cover:
- bovine animals
And refer to:
- livestock (expressed in number of animals)
- slaughtering (expressed in number of animals and tonnes)
- milk and dairy production (quantities produced and used on farm and in dairies)
- production of eggs for hatching
- trade of chicks
Uses of the data
Agricultural production data are used to define policy measures as diverse as:
- Analysing developments in agricultural markets and how they respond to policy actions;
- Ensuring quality in food and animal feed
- Promotion of farm products
- Ensuring animal welfare and health
- Actions in case of serious animal diseases or human health risk due to agricultural products.
This data reflects the large diversity of agricultural products that are made available for consumption. Agricultural products are an important part of the cultural identity of European citizens and regions.
Agricultural production data can answer questions such as:
- What are the main crops harvested in the European Union?
- How much milk is produced for consumption?
- How is evolving the meat production from different cattle categories?
- What is the share of cereal production between the Member States?
- How is the agricultural land used in the Member States?
- What are the shares of arable land and permanent crops?
- Which European regions produce the goat and ewe milk?