- Waste generation and management
- Transboundary waste shipments
- Key Waste streams
Demand for statistics on waste generation and treatment has grown considerably in recent years. Regular statistics on the production and management of waste from businesses and private households are collected from Member States to monitor the implementation of European Union waste policy, which is based on the principles of waste prevention, maximisation of recovery and safe disposal.
Waste statistics at EU level responds to the need for comparable and harmonised data. Data are collected and published every two years following common methodological recommendations .
Waste related indicators form a substantial part of the circular economy monitoring framework and are an important element of other indicator frameworks measuring the state of the environment .
What are we doing?
Eurostat produces annual data on waste generation and management, except for the data based on the Regulation on waste statistics which is collected every second year. All data are available on Eurostat’s database and are used to produce indicators. The data is also used in special web publications in order to provide easy access to the relevant data for citizens and policy maker.
The following EU Regulations and Directives require data reporting from Member States to the European Commission
- Data reporting on quantity, hazardousness and shipments of waste
Waste Statistics Regulation (WStatR)
Waste Shipments Regulation (WShipR)
- Data reporting obligations – monitoring compliance with targets
Waste Framework Directive (WFD)
Packaging and packaging waste Directive (PACK)
End of Life Vehicles (ELV)
Directive Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)
Directive Batteries Directive (BATT)
- Joint data collection with OECD
The following waste indicators are published:
- Municipal waste generation & treatment, by treatment method
- Generation of waste excluding major mineral wastes
- Management of waste excluding major mineral wastes
- Recycling rate of e-waste
- Material prices for recyclates