"Your Companion Guide to International Statistical Classifications" project
YOUR COMPANION GUIDE TO
INTERNATIONAL STATISTICAL CLASSIFICATIONS
The purpose of these pages
is to provide general as well as detailed information about international
statistical classifications. They are intended for experts as well as
non-experts although the main focus will be for non-experts. The intention is
to provide as much information as possible as well as links to relevant
documents where users will find yet more information.
This "tutorial" is
organized in several sections:
- Section I will provide general and theoretical information about
classifications: What is a classification ? Why do we need
classifications ? etc. It will also describe the properties of a good
- Section II will clarify the concepts most frequently encountered
when dealing with classifications: economic activity classifications vs
product classifications, products vs goods, etc.
- Section III will describe the integrated system of
statistical classifications of economic activities and products
progressively implemented at world, regional and national levels over the
- Section IV will present and describe in detail the
classifications which are part of the integrated system of statistical
classifications of economic activities and products
- Section V will deal with other major classification families
(health, occupations, etc.) and describe their main components.
- Section VI will list and describe the main tools that can help
users understand the content of classification categories.
- Section VII will be devoted to the design and construction
- Section VIII is concerned with sources and further readings
in relation with statistical classifications
Please use the table of
contents below to navigate on the site.
updated: April 2012