International Day of Persons with Disabilities
On the occasion of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities,
which takes place on 3. December,
Eurostat publishes some interesting facts & figures as well as an infographic
on people with disabilities in the European Union.
...that about 30% of the population aged 16 or more in the EU with an activity limitation (i.e. with disabilities) were at risk of poverty or social exclusion, compared with 22% of those with no limitation?
...that 69% of people aged 16 or over with an activity limitation in the EU owned their own home, compared with 72% of people with no activity limitation ?
..that 47% of adults with activity limitation lived in households which would not be able to meet unexpected financial expenses, compared with 36% among those not having any activity limitation?
...that nearly half (48%) of adults with activity limitation in the EU lived in households which could not afford a one-week holiday, compared with 36% of the adult population not suffering any activity limitation ?
Source: Eurostat, EU-Statistics on income, social inclusion and living conditions (EU-SILC). All data refer to 2013. Date of extraction: 30.11.2015).
Further information can also be found in the dedicated section "Disability statistics" on the Eurostat website.
You might also be interested in the online publication "Disability Statistics" available on Statistics Explained.
- Eurostat: Statistics on people with disabilities
- General Directorate Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion of the European Commission: Persons with disabilities
- General Directorate Communication of the European Commission: Eurobaromter "Discrimination in the EU in 2012"
- European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights: People with disabilities
- United Nations: International Day of Persons with Disabilities