World Population Day
On the occasion of World Population Day, which is celebrated each year on 11 july,
Eurostat publishes an infographic & some interesting information on the
population in the European Union.
More information on World Population Day can be found on the website of the UN.
… that over the last decade, the median age of the EU population increased by almost 3 years, rising from 40.1 years in 2007 to 42.8 years in 2017?
… that in 2017, Ireland (21.1%) had the highest proportion of young people (aged 14 years and over), while Germany had the lowest (13.4%)?
… that in 2016, the highest share of women having four or more children was recorded in Finland (10.1%) while the lowest share was in Spain (2.8%)?
...that in 2016, the share of the foreign-born population ranged from 45.7% in Luxembourg to less than 3% in Poland, Bulgaria and Romania?
Source: Eurostat, Population Statistics (Date of extraction: 09.07.2018).
Further information can also be found in the Eurostat news release on the EU population.
You might also be interested in the following Statistics Explained articles in population.
- Eurostat dedicated section on Population statistics
- Statistics for beginners article on population
- My Country in a Bubble infographic at Eurostat: Population by country
- Directorate-General Economy and Finances of the European Commission: 2018 Ageing report
- United Nations: Population trends
- OECD: Population indicators