Documents related to the World Bank
Trust Funds and Cofinancing Framework Agreement
This agreement, signed on March 20, 2009 [2 MB] by presidents Barroso (European Commission) and Zoellick (World Bank), deals essentially with the operational aspects of the co-operation between both organisations. It replaces the Trust Funds and Cofinancing Framework Agreement signed on November 8, 2001 which expired on 17 March 2009. The new Framework Agreement includes the modifications brought by the Financial Regulation and its Implementing Rules revised in 2007 and reflects the recent trust fund reform initiatives approved by the World Bank Group.
The Framework Agreement applies to all trust funds agreements concluded between the Commission and a World Bank Group entity after 20 March 2009. On the other hand, Administration Agreements concluded between 8 November 2001 and 17 March 2003 remain governed by the provisions of the Framework Agreement as in force at the time [88 KB] , whereas Administration Agreements concluded between 17 March 2003 and 17 March 2009 will be subject to the .
This Framework Agreement has been concluded for a ten-year period, at the end of which it may be revised and/or extended.
The Framework Agreement is composed of 6 parts (the Framework Agreement and 5 Attachments):
- The Framework Agreement [2 MB] lays down the general principles that govern the cooperation between the institutions.
It applies to both cooperation through trust funds (see in particular, Articles 2 and 3) and parallel co-financing (Article 6). The Framework Agreement includes provisions on indirect costs (Article 7); Visibility and Participation (Article 8); Publication of Beneficiaries (Article 9); and Disclosure of information (Article 10). It also provides for regular consultations on its implementation (Article 11). Finally, Article 1 contains a set of definitions of terms used in the Framework Agreement and Attachments.
- Attachments 1 [39 KB] and 2 [53 KB] contain the templates to be used for contributions from the EC to specific trust funds (for both Single and Multi-Donor Trust Funds). On the one hand, Attachment 1 includes the "Administration Agreement". On the other hand, Attachment 2 contains the "General Conditions" applicable to any Administration Agreement.
- Attachment 3 [18 KB] contains the agreement on the verification clause approved by the Commission on 20 December 2000 with very slight modifications.
- In the interest of simplicity, the content of the Interpretative Letter improving the application of the visibility and participation clause, signed on 2 June 2006, is incorporated into the Framework Agreement as Attachment 4 [14 KB] .
- Finally, Attachment 5 will contain the provisions related to the Central Exclusion Database established by Commission Regulation (EC, Euratom) No 1302/2008, of 17 December 2008, on the central exclusion database, once a practical system is agreed with the European Data Protection Supervisor as regards access to this database by International Organisations. This Attachment shall be agreed by the Commission and the World Bank Group in the annual consultations.
Frequently asked questions
- Frequently asked questions on the Framework Agreement (** update 2013**) [919 KB]
- Frequently asked questions on the Framework Agreement (** Update 2010 **) [380 KB]
Other documents relating to the World Bank Group
Previous Framework Agreements
- Trust Funds and Cofinancing Framework Agreement signed on November 8, 2001 revised in 2003 [2 MB]
- Trust Funds and Cofinancing Framework Agreement signed on November 8, 2001
Frequently Asked Questions on previous Framework Agreements
A series of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) was jointly developed by the WBG and the EC to guide the establishment and the administration of WBG's trust funds to which the EU contributes.
On 2 June 2006 an Interpretative Letter [134 KB] on the visibility clause of the EC-WBG FA was agreed by Commissioner Ferrero-Waldner and the then President Wolfowitz. The new Trust Funds and Co-financing Framework Agreement - signed and entered into force on 20 March 2009 - incorporates the Interpretative Letter (Attachment IV [14 KB] ).
On 27 May 2009, the EC and the WB adopted the Joint Visibility Guidelines [83 KB] , which are designed to complement the provisions in the Framework Agreement and help staff in the field to plan visibility actions in the framework of each project.
EC-WBG Annual Consultations
Consultations on the Trust Funds and Co-Financing Framework Agreement between the Commission and the World Bank are held annually.