Terms of Reference for a Verification Mission of a UN managed action
The Standard Contribution Agreement (SCA) the European Commission signs with every International Organisation when cooperating in Joint Management provides for the entity to make available financial information and for the Commission to carry out checks, including on the spot (Art 16.3 and 16.4 of the General Conditions).
The Financial and Administrative Framework Agreement signed with United Nations (UN) provides for further details on how to perform these on the spot checks, which are commonly called Verification Missions.
Verification missions involve a review of the system of accountability for the action put in place by the UN and checks on the information supporting the implementation of the SCA and the use of the EC funds.
The Terms of Reference
Verification missions of UN managed actions must be carried out in accordance with the terms of reference ('ToR') established by DG Development and Cooperation - EuropeAid. The ToR include an introduction (with definitions), the objectives, standards and guidance, requirements for the contractor, scope, verification procedures and other matters.
- Annex 1 is a checklist which provides key information including the reason for the verification mission, logistics, contractual conditions for the action, the UN Entity and the action subject to verification, other information, contact details and key documents. This checklist must be completed by the audit task managers or other Commission staff.
- Annex 2 includes a list of verification procedures to be performed
- Annex 3 includes guidance for the Contractor with regard to the verification procedures (i.e. verification evidence and documentation, planning, fieldwork and reporting).
- Annex 4 is a model verification report for use by the Auditor.
Terms of reference for a Verification Mission
- Terms of reference for a Verification Mission of a UN managed action [186 KB]
- Annex 1 Engagement Context – Key Information for a Verification Mission of a UN managed Action [141 KB]
- Annex 2 Listing of Verification Procedures to be performed [329 KB]
- Annex 3 Verification Procedures – Guidance [95 KB]
- Annex 4 Verification Mission report [361 KB]