Promoting democracy and human rights
Welcome to the web pages of the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR). The EIDHR is a European Union programme that aims to promote and support human rights and democracy worldwide.
Information on our activities and actions are accessible via the various links situated on the right-hand side of these pages. Support is mainly provided through the co-financing of projects selected through calls for proposals (if you wish to consult the calls for proposals currently open, please click on "open") published on EuropeAid's website.
Planning of EIDHR Calls for Proposals launched by headquarters (updated 20.04.2009)
Story from the field
Human rights Defenders
The European Union, through the European Instrument for democracy and human rights supports the human rights defenders, against repression and the arbitrary exercise of power, particularly in case of emergency situations . It also aims at reinforcing their activities in documenting violations and supports the United Nations Special Procedures. These activities are implemented through co-funded projects with the eleven organizations which details are below.
60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
To mark the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of human rights on 10th December 2008, the European Commission, the European Parliament and the United Nations organised an anniversary conference . Internationally recognised filmmakers, artists and writers contributed to short films to tell "Stories on Human Rights".
Torture is unacceptable
Torture is being widely practised in many countries around the world. According to Amnesty International, torture is still present in close to 100 countrie
The European Union is supporting actions aimed at eradicating torture and assisting victim rehabilitation. In 2006 the EU funded 39 new torture prevention projects and 56 new victim rehabilitation projects throughout the world.
Death has no appeal
The EU is at the forefront of international efforts to abolish the death penalty worldwide. All the Member States of the European Union and the European Commission are strongly opposed to the death penalty in all circumstances. The EU considers that the abolition of the death penalty contributes to the enhancement of human dignity and the progressive development of human rights.
On a more practical level, the EU's political commitment is matched by substantial project support given under the European Initiative for Democracy and Human Rights. Read the leaflet entitled Death has no appeal or watch the video.
- 04/07/2009: EIDHR Meeting with CSO on Support to global civil society campaigns designed to ensure the effective functioning of the ICC: Agenda , Minutes , Consultation document
- 03/06/2009: EIDHR Meeting with CSOs on the field of the fight against Torture and other ill-treatment: Agenda , Minutes , Consultation document and key elements of discussion
- EIDHR Evaluation on its Support to the Establishment and Functioning of the ICC
- 15/04/2009 Adoption of EIDHR Annual Action Programme 2009 (Decision reference C(2009)2635)
- Annual Work Programme 2009
- Fight against Death Penalty: The short film "15 Seconds" puts emphasis on the efforts of the European Union (EU) and the EIDHR in the fight against Death Penalty. Watch the film written and directed by Gianluca Petrozzi (click on "Trailer").
- 12/11/2008 Summary of EIDHR meeting with CSO's
- Leaflet on the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR)
- Second amendment to the EIDHR 2008 Annual Action Programme-Modification of two Action Fiches (1 and 13) and addition of two Action Fiches (19 and 20)
- 17/06/08 Report on Evaluation of "Support to Prevention of Torture and Torture rehabilitation centres Supported by EIDHR"
- EIDHR Projects in Turkey
- First Amendment to the EIDHR 2008 Annual Action Programme - addition of two Action Fiches and modification of Fiche 3
- 25/04/08 Adoption of EIDHR Annual Action Programme 2008 - Memorandum - Action Fiches 1 to 7 - Action Fiches 8-14
- 04/03/08 NGO Meeting Minutes and annexes: list of participants , presentation on mainstreaming
- COMPENDIUM of Activities funded under EIDHR 2000-2006 (per theme)
- COMPENDIUM of Activities funded under EIDHR 2000-2006 (per country)
- STATISTICS of Activities funded under EIDHR 2000-2006
- 04/12/2007 Adoption of EIDHR AAP 2007 - Memorandum - Action Fiches
- Evaluation Report on "Network of Schools of Political Studies" (August 2007)
- Presentation on the implementation of the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights
- EIDHR Strategy Paper 2007-2010 and the annexes (adopted by the Commission on 8th August 2007)
- EIDHR Evaluation Report on the "Abolition of the Death Penalty" Projects , finalised in April 2007