European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument
ENP stands for European Neighbourhood Policy, while ENPI is short for European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument. The ENP is a broad political strategy which has as the ambitious objective of strengthening the prosperity, stability and security of Europe's neighbourhood in order to avoid any dividing lines between the enlarged EU and its direct neighbours. The ENPI is the financial instrument which supports the ENP through concrete assistance actions.
ENPI: A new single cooperation instrument for EU’s eastern and southern neighbours plus Russia
The European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument [113 KB] (ENPI) has been operational since 1 January 2007. The ENPI is the main source of funding for the 17 partner countries (ten Mediterranean and six Eastern European countries, plus Russia). The ENPI replaces the co-operation programmes TACIS (for the Eastern European countries) and MEDA (for the Mediterranean countries). In this light, the ENPI appears as the strategic continuity with enlarged objectives of the former TACIS and MEDA programmes. The main purpose is to create an area of shared values, stability and prosperity, enhanced co-operation and deeper economic and regional integration by covering a wide range of co-operation areas.
The overall allocation for the ENPI instrument amounts to almost €12 billion for the seven-year period 2007-2013. This represents an increase of 32%, in real terms, compared with the amount available over the period 2000-2006 for the MEDA and TACIS programmes.
A specific framework of cooperation with Russia
Relations with Russia are not developed through the ENP. Instead, a strategic partnership has been created, covering four so-called “ common spaces”. However, Russia receives funding from the ENPI – hence the term “partnership” in ENPI.
The ENPI allows enhanced bilateral, regional & sectorial cooperation
Around 90% of ENPI funds will be used for bilateral actions, i.e. country-specific initiatives and for regional actions involving two or more partner countries. The remaining 10% are reserved for specific new areas of joint activity, namely cross-border co-operation (CBC), and specific initiatives like the Neighbourhood Investment Facility (NIF).
Three innovative features of the ENPI need to be highlighted. The first innovation is the CBC component, under which the ENPI finances joint programmes, bringing together regions of Member States and partner countries sharing a common border. The second innovation is the introduction of a Governance Facility which provides resources to creative partners which have shown the will to carry forward essential reforms related to improving good governance. The third innovation is the Twinning, the TAIEX and the SIGMA instruments. The first two can be defined as a cooperation tool between a public administration in a partner country and the equivalent institution in an EU Member State. The third one, SIGMA, is a joint initiative of the OECD and the EU. These instruments which aim to upgrade and modernise the institutions of the beneficiary eastern and southern neighbouring countries have were created in the framework of the Acceding countries and were successfully adapted to the Neighbourhood region in 2004, 2006 and 2008 respectively.
Regarding Nuclear Safety, it must be mentioned that projects in Eastern and Central Europe which were implemented through the former TACIS programme are now covered by a new Nuclear Safety Instrument.