The EU has been providing Mercosur with development funding since 1991, mainly to support regional integration.
EU Aid programmes
In 2002-06, the European Commission provided funds for:
- market integration and more trade between member countries (43.75%)
- building Mercosur institutions (26%)
- boosting the role of civil society in Mercosur (30.25%)
In 2007-13, the EC foresees to provide €50M in funding for:
- supporting Mercosur institutions (10%)
- extending the scope of Mercosur and implementing its association agreement with the EU (70%)
- boosting the role of civil society in Mercosur (20%)
For more information, please consult the Regional Strategy Paper [431 KB] .