The EU has been providing Colombia with development funding for 30 years, mainly to resolve the internal conflict and build a lasting peace.
EU Aid programmes
In 2002-2006, the European Commission provided funds for:
- alternative development (28.5%)
- economic and social development and reducing poverty (38%)
- administrative and legal reforms (24%)
- promoting human rights (9.5%)
More info: Colombia Country Strategy Paper [389 KB] 2002-2006
see the video Cocaine or coffee, war or peace the choice for many in Colombia(Euronews)
In 2007-2013, the European Commission foresees to provide €160M in funding for:
- peace and stability, including alternative development (70%)
- rule of law, justice and human rights (20%)
- productivity, competition and trade (10%)
More info: Colombia Country Strategy Paper [919 KB] 2007-2013
For more information on the cooperation framework between the EU and Colombia please consult the EC's European External Action Service.