Supporting regional integration
EuropeAid supports the EU commitment to strengthening regional integration across the world. The EU is extremely active in building co-operative activities in Asia, where it works with a number of dialogue partners.
The principal forums for joint working and dialogue are: the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM), the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Asian Regional Forum (ARF), and the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC). Moreover, nine “sub-regional” cooperation programmes receive support through the EU’s multi-annual indicative programme for 2007-2010.
- The ASEM Dialogue Facility – support to ASEM process and multilateral cooperation with ASEM countries on economic and financial matters, employment and social policy, environment and cultural diversity.
- The Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) – cooperation to strengthen links and exchanges between civil societies in Asia and Europe.
- The Trans-Eurasia Information Network III (TEIN-III) – high capacity Internet network for researchers and universities in Asia.
- The South Asia Free Trade Agreement (SAFTA) – cooperation on harmonisation of standards, customs, licensing and registration, communications, transport, etc.
- Sectoral Dialogue Facility – cooperation EU experience and promoting institutional networking particularly on issues such as regional integration, energy, transport, disaster and disease risk reduction.
- South Asia Civil Aviation Programme – cooperation to fully implement the safety procedures and to help adapt national aviation systems so they can work in a regional system.
- Regional capacity building and region-to-region dialogue – identification of areas for regulatory or policy cooperation and, for example, help improve sector specific capacities and civil society exchanges.
- ASEAN statistical capacity building – cooperation to produce more accurate and reliable statistics for the formulation and evaluation of regional integration policies.
- ASEAN immigration and border management programme – cooperation to fight against trafficking and improve border management.