Overall objective: To contribute to sustainable natural resource management and poverty alleviation in Cambodia through right-based empowerment.
Specific objective: Empowered communities exerting their land rights, managing their natural resources sustainably and obtaining improved livelihoods.
Primary target group: 9 750 Community Forestry (CF) household with approximately 27 900 members established and/or strengthened under the action.
Secondary target group: Approximately 75 000 community members, who benefit from conserved forest in the future, local authorities.
- New CFs are established and recognized by relevant institutions
- CF Management Committees (CFMCs) and CF members have the capacity and are supported to prepare CF Management Plans (CFMPs) and to implement CFMPs/business plans
- CF members are empowered to engage in discussions and advocacy on Natural Resource Management
- Self Help Groups (SHGs) established and have the capacity to operate revolving funds and to provide micro credits to members
- SHG members have the capacity to implement sustainable micro enterprises
- Famer Producer Groups (FPGs) established and have the capacity to organize common marketing for their members.
Activities of the project:
- Build capacity and support communities to establish new CFs
- Support CFMC and CF members to demarcate CF boundary and mapping and to prepare relevant documents for approval
- Provide capacity building to CFMC and CF members on organization, management and process of CFMP development
- Facilitate CFMCs to develop forestry inventories by blocks and prepare CF inventory reports
- Facilitate CFMCs to select forest resource management alternatives including business options and prepare CFMPs
- Provide capacity building and support about annual work plan preparation to CFMCs, and technical training on implementation of the work plans to CF members.
- Establish forest-based micro enterprises and provide trainings on business planning, management and marketing
- Provide awareness and capacity building in land and forestry protection rights and advocacy
- Supports the CFMCs to do monthly patrols of the CF sites to identify illegal activities and report these cases to authorities
- Support CFMCs to participate in CC meetings and CF networks
- Facilitate communities to establish SHGs
- Provide training to SHG Committees on management and revolving funds
- Provide small sub-granting to SHG
- Conduct surveys about livelihood of SHG members
- Provide training to SHG members on micro-enterprise development and management
- Provide training to SHG members on appropriate agricultural techniques and other required technical skills
- Organize study tours
- Facilitate agricultural micro-enterprises to establish FPGs and provide training on marketing
- Support FPGs to conduct Value Chain Analysis (VCA), develop marketing plans and to implement them.