5.3.3. Selection and award criteria
1. The selection criteria concern the tenderer's capacity to execute the contract, with particular reference to similar works executed in recent years.
The selection procedure involves:
- eliminating tenderers who are ineligible (see point 2.3.1.) or fall into one of the situations described in sections 2.3.3. and 2.3.5.;
- checking that the tenderers' financial situation (financial and economic capacity) is sound, as backed up, for example, by balance sheets and turnover for the previous three years (see point 2.4.11.) if specifically required in the tender dossier;
- verifying the tenderers' technical and professional capacity, for example, by looking at their average annual staffing levels, the size and professional experience of their management, and the main services provided, supplies delivered and works carried out in the sector in question in recent years (see point 2.4.11.).
The selection criteria specified in the annexes to this Practical Guide are given by way of illustration and should be adapted to the nature, cost and complexity of the contract.
If, for some exceptional reason which the contracting authority considers justified, the tenderer or candidate is unable to provide the references required by the contracting authority, it may prove its economic and financial capacity by any other means which the contracting authority considers appropriate. Where the works to be implemented are complex or, exceptionally, are required for a special purpose, evidence of technical and professional capacity may be secured by means of a check carried out by the contracting authority or on its behalf by a competent official body of the country in which the tenderer is established, subject to that body's agreement. These checks will cover the tenderer's technical capacity and production capacity and, if necessary, its study and research facilities and quality control measures.
The selection criteria should be precise, non-discriminatory and not prejudicial to fair competition. All criteria must be applied as specified in the tender dossier and cannot be changed during the procedure. The technical evaluation will be based on the evaluation grid published in the tender dossier, which must not be changed in any way during the evaluation process. Given the wide variety of works and their technical nature, the selection criteria must be tailored to each tender in a YES/NO format to allow a clear assessment of whether or not the offer meets the technical requirements set out in the tender dossier.
2. The award criterion applied to technically compliant tenders is price.