Euraxess Science Slam 2014
COME AND CHOOSE THE EURAXESS Science Slammer India 2014 in Mumbai on 1st November 2014 I Update on the outcome of the event coming soon!!!
And the 5 finalists for the 2nd EURAXESS Science Slam India are (alphabetical order):
Mr. Saurabh Aggarwal, Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore), PhD student
Title of presentation: "Bringing Science to Villages"
Mr. Anand Das, TIFR (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, Maharastra), PhD student
Title of presentation: "A forgotten life..." - WINNER of the 2nd EURAXESS Science Slam India!! (updated on 21 Nov.)
Ms. Sabeena M, HBNI / IGCAR (Homi Bhabha National Institute/ Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam), PhD student
Title of presentation: “Playing with Molybdenum atoms in Titanium lattice”
Ms. Priti Gupta, TIFR (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai), PhD student
Title of presentation: “Bending Rules: N-Lightening the Future”
Ms. Shreejata Gupta, National Institute of Advanced Studies (Bangalore), PhD student
Title of presentation: “Towards the Roots of Language: Development of communication systems in macaques leading to understanding of human language”
Come and watch their live performance this Saturday:
@ Café Zoe
Mathuradas Mill Compound (opposite Kamala Mills),
Lower Parel, 400013, Mumbai, India
Train Station: Lower Parel l Parking space available
(See plan on the right)
Registration to attend the LIVE finals on Saturday 1st November 2014 evening (17:00-21:00):
Prior registration will be required in order to attend the event.
It is simple: send an e-mail (Subject: 'REGISTRATION AUDIENCE + your name' ) with the following information at email@example.com . Confirmation e-mail will be sent by organizers.
Registration will close on Friday 31st October (end of day) 2014. If there are seats left, registration will remain open until Saturday 1st November noon (12:00PM). So far more than 80 registrations received (maximum capacity 100).
- Gender (Male or Female):
- Position (student/professional/ researcher/other):
- Name of educational or research institute / company / European Embassy or Consulate/other:
- E-mail address:
- Phone number:
Put on your blue suede shoes and slam your way to a free trip to Europe! Submission for the 2nd EURAXESS Science Slam India will open on 21 June 2014. Join the competition now!
In 2013, researchers from all over India were invited to join the first edition of the EURAXESS Science Slam India. Four of them took part in exciting finals in front of 200 people in Pune.
Ms Shraddha Karve, Ph.D. student at IISER Pune won the contest, became India's first EURAXESS Science Slammer and embarked on a trip to Europe. Her slam was called 'Master of all trades is jack of none'. This is what she said: "Thinking about evolution in E. coli in terms of Wolverine and Calvin and Hobbes, rather than error bars and sample sizes, was a pleasant change. Slamming forced me to take a bird's eye view of my own work and provided me with an opportunity to present that point of view to the international audience. Memorable experience."
In 2014, EURAXESS Links India is once again looking for India's best science slammers. Five finalists will battle it out for the title of "EURAXESS Science Slammer India 2014" in the LIVE slam to be held in Mumbai on 1 November 2014.
|The first prize is a free trip to Europe, participation at a science communication training and visit to a research institute of the winner's choice!
A science slam is a scientific talk where scientists present their own scientific research work in a given time frame – usually 10 minutes or less - in front of a non-expert audience. The focus lies on teaching current science to a diverse audience in an entertaining way. The presentation is judged by the audience [and if applicable a jury]. A science slam is a form of science communication. (Source: Wikipedia)
Online submission of slam presentations is open between 21 June and 21 September 2014.
About the EURAXESS Science Slam:
EURAXESS Science Slam India 2014 is the second edition of a contest giving researchers based in India the chance to showcase their research projects to their peers and the wider public in a relaxed and joyful atmosphere.
It is open to researchers of all nationalities and from all fields of research, including Social Sciences and Humanities, Life Sciences and Physical Sciences and Engineering. This edition will be organized in partnership with Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR).
Every participant at the final slam to be held in Mumbai on 1 November 2014 will present a topic related to their research to an audience of non-experts in English, in less than 10 minutes. The slam can be supported by video and audio material, ppt. slides and any other kind of media available, as well as by scientific equipment. The performances of the participants will be judged by the audience and the review panel based on accessibility, conceptualization, style and originality. The winner will be awarded a round trip to Europe to attend a science communication training along with the winners of the other EURAXESS Science Slams organized in ASEAN, Brazil, China, Japan and North America as well as a visit to a research institute of his or her choice.
The event is open to researchers of all nationalities currently based in India active in all fields of research.
About EURAXESS Links:
EURAXESS Links is a networking tool for European researchers working outside Europe and non-European ones wishing to collaborate and/or pursue a research career in Europe. It has thus far been launched in North America (Canada and the USA), Japan, China, India, the ASEAN hub (encompassing Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam), and Brazil. EURAXESS Links provides information about research in Europe, job vacancies, European research policy, as well as opportunities for research funding, international collaboration and trans-national mobility.
How to participate (read Terms and Conditions for full details):
- Step 1: Get creative and develop an original idea to present your research project to the world: Tap dancing, singing, old-school presentation, scientific equipment – all is allowed (as long as it is decent J).
- Step 2: Make a 5 minutes max. video of your presentation with your camera phone (or equivalent). Make sure the presentation is in English.
- Step 3: Send us your video at firstname.lastname@example.org or upload it via Dropbox and share the link to the video with email@example.com.
Download the flyer here!
The official EURAXESS Science Slam Trailer is available on Facebook! The Delegation of the European Union to India will be following on Facebook the EURAXESS Science Slam India 2014. Join it too here!
Terms and Conditions - EURAXESS Science Slam India 2014
I. Who is eligible to participate?
- The competition is open to participants from all nationalities and all scientific disciplines (including Social Sciences and Humanities, Life Sciences and Physical Sciences and Engineering).
- When submitting their contribution to the Science Slam, eligible participants should be:
- 18 years or older AND
- enrolled in a PhD programme or PhD holder working as a researcher at a recognized university or research institute/centre in India.
- To enter the competition participants must be willing and able to participate in the final EURAXESS Science Slam India that will be held in Mumbai on 1 November 2014. Economy return flights (1 ticket per person) and hotel accommodation (2 nights) to the finals will be booked and paid for by EURAXESS Links India for the finalists based outside Mumbai. Only one entry per person.
II. How to participate?
The EURAXESS Science Slam competition consists of two stages: Winners of the 'virtual' pre-selection will qualify for the live finals to be held on 1 November 2014 in Mumbai.
II.a The 'virtual' pre-selection
- To enter the competition participants are invited to produce a video introducing their research. The video must not exceed 5 minutes in length. Participants are free to choose presentation styles and equipment as they see fit.
- Submissions must clearly show the participant presenting his or her research in a manner chosen by him or her. Animation only is not permitted.
- To enter the competition participants are invited to upload their pre-selection video via Dropbox and share the link to the video with firstname.lastname@example.org or send the video directly to email@example.com indicating in either case in the title of the message: EURAXESS Science Slam submission and their full name. The accompanying email must contain the following information:
(i) Applicant first name; (ii) Applicant last name; (iii) Applicant title; (iv) Gender; (v) Institute/University/Company; (vi) Presentation full title; (vii) Research field; (viii) Maximum five keywords related to the research project/work; (ix) Nationality.
A notification email acknowledging reception of the video will be sent within 3 working days.
- Submissions are possible from 21 June to 21 September 2014. No videos will be accepted once the number of posted videos exceeds 50. Participants are encouraged not to wait until the last moment.
EURAXESS Links India accepts no responsibility for entries that are defective, lost or delayed, or which are not received for any reason.
The video entry should:
- not exceed 300 seconds (maximum file size 20 MB)
- be done in English
- feature only the person who is to present on the day of the finals of the EURAXESS Links India Science Slam 2014
- start with the statement of the author's name, research position and home/host institution.
- be a shorter/synthetic version or a 'teaser' of the actual performance to be given during the real slam event on 1 November 2014
The review panel for the online competition (i.e. pre-selection panel for the live finals) will be comprised of a team of research scientists and/or administrators from India and the EURAXESS Links India Representative.
The review panel will select up to 5 finalists from all submissions received by the end of the submission deadline. Submitted videos will be assessed based on the following criteria, all of equal importance:
- Accessibility for non-experts
- Conceptualisation of slam (how structured is it?)
- Presentation style (how entertaining is it?)
- Originality (how creative is it?)
The "production quality" (image quality, quality of the support material or equipment etc.) will not be a selection criteria, as long as the resolution, light and sound quality allow the review panel to see and hear the performance clearly. Videos shot with smartphones, webcams and any video recording devices will all be accepted.
Finalists will be notified by email. The selection will also be announced on the EURAXESS Links India website and other online channels used by EURAXESS Links India (these can include LinkedIn, Facebook or any other social media as well as publications such as the EURAXESS Links newsletters). The decision of the review panel will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
II.b The live finals
The 5 finalists will compete at the live finals of the EURAXESS Science Slam India 2014 to be held in Mumbai on 1 November 2014. A return economy flight and hotel accommodation (2 nights) will be provided by EURAXESS Links India for the finalists based outside Mumbai.
The 5 finalists will present live in front of a non-expert audience composed of members of the research community and of the wider public.
- The presentations will be done by one person only.
- Every presentation will be done in English.
- A prize will be awarded to the best performer as decided by the audience and the review panel.
- Each presentation shall not exceed 10 minutes.
- Presentations can be supported by video and audio material, ppt. slides and any other kind of media available, as well as by scientific equipment, in accordance with the venue's capacity and security measures.
- After each presentation there could be questions by the review panel.
The presentations/performances of the 5 finalists will be assessed based on the following criteria, all of equal importance:
- Accessibility for non-experts
- Conceptualisation of slam (how structured is it?)
- Presentation style (how entertaining is it?)
- Originality (how creative is it?)
By entering the competition the winner agrees to support EURAXESS Links India with the production of further promotional material (which may include photography, filming or interviews) in the context of the Science Slam competitions as the organiser (EURAXESS Links) may reasonably require.
The review panel for the live competition will be comprised of a team of research scientists and/or administrators from India and the EURAXESS Links India Representative.
III. The first prize
The winner of the LIVE finals will be awarded the first prize. The first prize consists of the following components:
- A free round-trip to Europe (Bonn, Germany) in the spring of 2015.
- In Europe, the winner will be invited to participate in a science communication workshop on "Graphic Facilitation". The workshop will be held in Bonn, Germany.
"Graphic Facilitation is the use of large scale imagery to lead groups and individuals towards a goal. The method is used in various processes such as meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences." (Source: Wikipedia)
- During the stay in Europe, EURAXESS Links will assist in arranging a meeting at one research organisation/institution of the winner's choice within the European Research Area. In case of a successful meeting arrangement, EURAXESS Links will finance the trip to this institute. However, EURAXESS Links cannot guarantee any meetings with a particular organisation or individual. If no meeting can be arranged, EURAXESS Links will not be held responsible.
EURAXESS Links does NOT cover any travel or other costs unrelated to the actual prize. EURAXESS Links will only cover the following expenses:
- The economy round-trip flight to Europe to attend the science communication workshop as arranged by EURAXESS Links. The flight will be arranged from the city the winner is based in at the time in question.
- The costs for the winner's participation in the science communication workshop.
- The costs for accommodation (4 nights in a hotel) and food during the stay in Bonn, Germany, where the workshop will take place.
- The costs for the travels (bus, train or flight ticket) to the meeting with a research organisation of the winner's choice within the European Research Area (incl. accommodation for up to 2 nights in the respective city).
The prize will not be transferable to another person.
IV. Intellectual property rights and disqualification
By participation in this competition all participants declare that they hold the intellectual property rights to the research presented, or are explicitly allowed to present such research.
Participants are responsible for ensuring their submissions do not infringe copyrights.
By participation in this competition all participants allow the organisers to publish the videos they have submitted as well as the recording of the live performance at the finals.
Abusive and derogatory entries will be disqualified.
Ms Ainhitze Bizkarralegorra Bravo
EURAXESS Links India
EURAXESS Science Slam India 2013
EURAXESS Links India organizes or co-organizes a yearly EURAXESS Science Slam. Similar events are taking place in all other countries where EURAXESS Links is active at the same time (ASEAN, Brazil, China, Japan and North America)
Young scientists present their research in a competition in front of an audience of non-specialists using any medium. The winner is selected on the project quality, but also the entertaining value of their presentation!
The event gives young international researchers in India the chance to showcase their work as well as their communication skills in front of members of the research community and the wide public, in a joyful and convivial atmosphere.
Every participant presents a topic of his or her research in front of an audience of non-experts. The presentations can be supported by video and audio material, ppt. slides and any other kind of media available, as well as by scientific equipment.
The performances are judged based on criteria such as research quality, creativity, clarity and interest aroused. The event is open to researchers of all nationalities currently based in India active in all fields of research, including social sciences and humanities.
The first EURAXESS Science Slam in India was co-organised with the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune on 29th September 2013.
Each competitor presented a 10- minute slam, followed by 10 minutes of questions by the audience and 10 minutes of questions by the jury. The audience prize and ‘critic’s prize’ were awarded by the audience and the jury. The Science Slam was followed by a networking buffet lunch.
The EURAXESS Science Slam India finalists covered the fields of environment, biology and nanotechnology. They were:
- Ms Binita Shah, Research Scholar (Doctoral) at NITIE, whose slam focused on the life cycle assesment of electricity from coal.
- Ms Shraddha Karve, Ph.D. student at IISER Pune. Her slam was called ‘Master of all trades is jack of none’.
- Ms Anupama Engineer, Ph.D. student at Agharkar Research Institute, Pune. Her presentation was on Microbes as an alternative for synthesis of industrially valuable molecules.
- Mr Prasad Bhagat, CSIR SRF at Agharkar Research Institute, Pune. His slam presented protein therapeutics to control cancer.
Ms Shraddha Karve was awarded both the audience and critic’s prize. She received a give voucher and an invitation to present her slam during the EURAXESS / Voice of Researchers Conference on 21st November 2013 in Brussels, Belgium.