The Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) carries out programmes which provide overseas researchers who have an excellent record of research achievements with an opportunity to conduct postdoctoral studies, collaborative research, and short research stays in Japan.
Researchers from all countries with diplomatic relations with Japan and of any field of study are eligible.
Applications must be submitted by the inviting researchers who wish to host foreign researchers in Japan, either directly through JSPS (see here) or through an overseas nominating authority (France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden: see list here). Various fellowship categories are provided:
- Standard postdoctoral fellowships are of a duration of 1 to 2 years.
- Short-term postdoctoral fellowships are of a duration of 1 to 12 months.
- Pathway postdoctoral fellowships are for 1-2 years and should be followed by a sustainable implantation of the researcher in Japan.
- Invitation fellowships are for research stays of a duration of 2-10 months (Long-term), 14-60 days (Short-term), 7-30 days (Short-term S).
Approximately 320 postdoctoral fellowships and 290 invitation fellowships should be awarded for JFY2016 through two to four calls.
Next application rounds:
-Postdoctoral fellowships: 26 April - 6 May 2016 (Standard)
4-8 April 2016 (Short-term)
- Invitation fellowships: 26 April - 6 May 2016
(Short-term and Short-term S)
Further information here (pdf)