PhD position in the H2020 EJD program VIPER: PhD position in the H2020 EJD program VIPER: Periodic visco-elastic add-ons
PhD position in the H2020 Marie Sklodowska Curie Action VIPER – Vibro-acoustics of Periodic Medio with a focus on Periodic visco-elastic add-ons
PhD Position description:
Objectives: In this work we plan to investigate how acoustic meta-material design can be further improved by adding visco-elastic patches. The trade-off between an increase in stop band width and reduced peak performance should be understood in detail, be modeled and be experimentally validated.
Global treatment of structural-acoustic paths in a typical construction.
• In a first step, the shift cell operator procedure will be implemented for the different visco-elastic material models.
• Next, periodic viscoelastic patches on a bare plate base model will be studied, revealing the relation between added mass and gain in stop band width and overall behaviour.
• Adding complexity, viscoelastic patches will be added to the resonating structure design as presented in [Claeys C., (2014), Design and analysis of resonant metamaterials for acoustic Insulation. KU Leuven, Department of Mechanical Engineering.], optimizing the mass-spring-damper behaviour of the unit cell structure.
• The models will be validated on a demonstrator, which can be manufactured using 3D printing using selective laser melting.
• To increase the efficiency of the proposed models, specific parametric Model Order Reduction schemes will be developed in order to reduce the computational cost, however, to retain the model’s dependence on certain parameters such as the size and the location of the patches.
• Special attention should be spend on variability resulting from variability in the manufacturing and add-on processes.
Expected Results: In the very last part of the PhD work, an optimization scheme will further lead to the best design, given a dedicated target frequency band with a minimum of added weight.
PhD conditions and contacts:
This position refers to a Joint PhD degree between KU Leuven in Belgium and University of Franche-Comté in France. The main part of the research will be developed at KU Leuven with a secondment to University of Franche-Comté.
Nr of positions available : 1
Engineering - Mechanical engineering
Early stage researcher or 0-4 yrs (Post graduate)
First Stage Researcher (R1)
|Degree||Master Degree or equivalent|
To better plan and organise their stay in a foreign European country, researchers and their families can also benefit of the free and personalised assistance offered by the EURAXESS Services Centres, a network of more than 200 centres located in 40 different European countries.
K.U.Leuven - Mechanical Engineering
Celestijnenlaan 300, box 2420, 3001 Heverlee
H2020/Marie Curie Actions
Publish your job vacancies & fellowship programmes or Post your CV
ERC National Contact Points