The main aim of this Post Doc position is the development of an industrial squeeze/high pressure die casting technology for bulk vitrified metals.
This will be achieved through the following objectives:
1) to develop the database for computational fluid dynamics software (CFD)
2) to design the potential gating systems
3) to simulate with the extended CFD software the designed die
4) to determine and design the final sample geometry in order to produce samples with the best compromise functionality and physical properties
5) to prepare of vitrified sample by either HPD casting or squeeze casting coupled with low pressure cavity system
VitriMetTech aims at educating a group of young researchers to implement methods for
cutting edge research on new metallic glasses (e.g. Fe, Mg, Al, Ti-based), also in bulk form,
and their amorphous/crystalline composites, for functional, bio-mechanical, chemical and
structural micro-part applications. Transfer of results to industrial companies will boost
innovation in a part of the Metal sector of the European manufacturing industry.
This interdisciplinary proposal by ten of the best European academic research teams with six
private sector companies will both improve the availability of materials and technologies in
fields were metallic glasses are already in the production line (e. g. magnetic devices), and
open up new fields of application in chemistry (e. g. in catalysis and spectroscopy) and
electrical and electronic engineering (e. g. motor components and MEMS).
VitriMetTech comprises five Research Projects which are designed to achieve the following
1) Soft magnets with low or zero-magnetostriction for use in inductors and toroid-shaped or
2) Highly magnetostrictive alloys to exploit magneto-mechanical coupling for energy
harvesting and cantilever devices.
3) Bio-corrodible Mg-based bulk vitrified metals for implants free of toxic elements and with
low elastic modulus.
4) Nano-porous metals made from metallic glass precursors for electro- and heterogeneous
catalysis, enhanced Raman spectroscopy, flexible electrodes and actuators.
5) Improving the mechanical properties of vitrified metals for the above applications:
suppression of shear banding and attain ductility as a function of sample size, composition,
The training program overcomes barriers among traditional disciplines providing top level
tuition to 16 fellows (10 ESRs and 6 ERs) on topics spanning from laboratory work for the
synthesis and property characterization, to processing and device fabrication, and on a full set
of complementary skills.
Nr of positions available : 1
Engineering - Materials Engineering
Early stage researcher or 0-4 yrs (Post graduate)
First Stage Researcher (R1)
The appointment will be on a temporary basis for a maximum period of 12 months (Experienced researcher, regular employment contract). The remuneration will be in line with the EC rules for Marie Curie grant holders (Experienced Researcher, ITN).
More details can be found at: http://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions
The starting date may vary, depending on the date at which the Grant Agreement will be signed.
The candidate must be fluent in spoken and written English. The candidate should hold a PhD degree in Materials Science and Engineering or (Die) Casting Engineering and should have experience with experimental research.
Applications (in English) including a CV, certificates of the degree, a letter of motivation describing research career goals, skills and experiences, as well as two letters of recommendation should be sent by
e-mail to the following addresses, quoting the project name "VitriMetTech-IFW-ESR4":
Dr. András Bárdos: email@example.com
Comment/web site for additional job details
To better plan and organise their stay in a foreign European country, researchers and their families can also benefit of the free and personalised assistance offered by the EURAXESS Services Centres, a network of more than 200 centres located in 40 different European countries.
Breuckmann GmbH & Co. KG
FP7/People - Marie Curie Actions
Publish your job vacancies & fellowship programmes or Post your CV