Early Stage Researcher position at University of Nantes, France in the Initial Training Network PROVISION (ESR11 - Semantic-like Fidelity Metric)
The partners of the Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN) PeRceptually Optimised VIdeo CompresSION (PROVISION) are offering different Early Stage Researcher (ESR) and Experienced Researcher (ER) positions all over Europe. The various vacancies are located at the Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute in Berlin, the University of Bristol, the British Broadcasting Corporation in London, the RTWH Aachen and the University of Nantes with secondments in the different institutions and internships at renowned associated partners all over the world.
The eligibility criteria for these posts and the detailed description of each project area are provided in the link below. The salaries for these posts depend on the country where the post is hosted but are in the region of 46 T€/yr for ESRs and 67 T€/yr for ERs.
Please apply directly through: https://ftpivc.polytech.univ-nantes.fr/provision/
The University of Nantes is still offering 2 Early Stage Researcher (ESR) positions in the field of video coding.
The topic of ESR11 will be Semantic-like Fidelity Metric. Supervisor will be Patrick LeCallet at the Ecole polytechnique de l’université de Nantes.
All video compression standards, since H.261 up to the latest H.265/HEVC, have been based on incremental improvements to the hybrid motion-compensated block transform coding model, which minimizes the error (distortion) between the original and coded pictures. But the goal of video coding must be to improve the subjective quality of the perceived decoded pictures.
So far, subjective quality has always been limited to fidelity (perceptual or not) in terms of pixel values. With the emergence of disruptive approach is the ‘content-based video compression’, quality paradigm requires to be revised to deal with the concept of semantic fidelity.
In this context, the goal of this PhD is to investigate more precisely the coding of spatio-temporal textures but considering the perceptual point of view from a high level point of view: get a rendering of the decoded texture consistent visually with the original texture from a semantic and realistic point of view.
The PhD thesis therefore proposes a broad study, but 3 main objectives have been defined:
- Understanding the limits of human perception in the context of visible differences with a focus on semantic fidelity perception (mostly for textures).
- Providing and designing of new approaches for defining and assessing coding fidelity
The following work items have been identified:
- Revisit SoA subjective quality assessment methodologies focusing on overall visual experience and visual fidelity
- Characterize the 'distortions' introduced through the new compression processes and identify the conditions for perceptually lossless coding.
- Develop Visual experience models and preliminary implementation through metrics
- Definition and models of visual “semantic” fidelity
- Visual “semantic” fidelity assessment methodologies
- Databases: distorted content and visual experience judgment
- Preliminary metrics
Nr of positions available : 1
Engineering - Electrical engineering
Early stage researcher or 0-4 yrs (Post graduate)
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Generous salary and additional allowances to cover living costs and travel, including a contribution to some family related expenses and the cost of annual travel back to home country.
- Opportunities for international collaboration and travel to world class academic and industrial partners.
- Training in a range of state-of-the-art scientific skills, intellectual property and project management skills.
- Secondment placements within the network’s industrial partners.
- Funds to support their participation in the PROVISION ITN European wide research and training events
Comment/web site for additional job details
To better plan and organise their stay in a foreign European country, researchers and their families can also benefit of the free and personalised assistance offered by the EURAXESS Services Centres, a network of more than 200 centres located in 40 different European countries.
University of Nantes
FP7/People - Marie Curie Actions
Publish your job vacancies & fellowship programmes or Post your CV
ERC National Contact Points