Configuring RSS News Readers
This page points to information on how to configure RSS news readers. Some points to note:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x or lower does not support RSS news.
- Microsoft Outlook prior to 2007 does not support RSS news
The following standard web browsers and mail clients support RSS news readers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or higher
- Microsoft Outlook 2007
- Mozilla Firefox 2.x or higher
- Mozilla Thunderbird 2.x or higher
More detailed information on RSS news readers, including stand-alone news readers, is available at http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/WWW/Feed_Readers/.
The following sections point to information on how to configure the most common applications with built-in RSS support.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7
- On any page that includes an RSS feed, IE7 displays an RSS icon () on the toolbar. Click on the icon to view the feed.
- Click on "Subscribe to this feed" on the feed view to add the feed to your list.
- To view your feeds, press <Ctrl>+<Shift>+J, or select the menu items Tools>Explorer Bar>Feeds
- Click on any RSS link, and Firefox 2 will open the link as a web page.
- Click on "Subscribe to this feed" to add the feed to your list.
- To view your feeds, open the Bookmark menu, and look for items with the RSS icon ().
- From the Thunderbird Tools menu, select Account Settings.
- Click the Add Account button in the lower left section of window.
- From the New Account Setup Window, select RSS News & Blogs and click Next.
- Enter a name for the RSS Account and click Next, then Finish to close the Account Wizard.
- Back in the Account Settings window, select your RSS account and click Manage Subscriptions.
- In the RSS Subscriptions window, click the Add button.
- In the News Feed Properties window, enter the full site address (URL) of the RSS feed you want to receive in the box labeled Feed URL: and click OK.
- U.Va.'s RSS feed's URL is: http://www.uvatogo.net/uvatogo.rss.
- Click OK to complete configuration and add the RSS folder.
- You may click Add again to enter another URL or click the X in upper right corner to close the RSS Subscriptions window.
- Click OK to close the Account Settings Window.
- To download the RSS feed headlines: In the Thunderbird main window, select the RSS feed you wish to view from the Folders list. You will see the headlines for articles from the RSS feed and be able to read articles associated with the headlines.
If you do not see the feed for which you are looking, you may need to click the plus sign beside your News & Blogs account to expand the folders below it.
If the RSS feed headlines are not downloaded automatically, please re-check the RSS feed URL and your Thunderbird configuration while reviewing this document.