List I of families and groups of substances
(ANNEX of Council Directive 76/464/EEC)
List I contains certain individual substances which belong
to the following families and group of substances, selected
mainly on the basis of their toxicity, persistence and bioaccumulation,
with the exception of those which are biologically harmless
or which are rapidly converted into substances which are biologically
- organohalogen compounds and substances which may form
such compounds in the aquatic environment,
- organophosphorus compounds,
- organotin compounds,
- substances in respect of which it has been proved that
they possess carcinogenic in or via the aquatic environment
- mercury and its compounds,
- cadmium and its compounds,
- persistent mineral oils and hydrocarbons of petroleum
- (for the purpose of implementing Articles 2, 8, 9 and
14 of this Directive) persistent synthetic substances
which may float, remain in suspension or sink and which
interfere with any use of the water.
Click here to return to the page on 76/464/EEC.
Click here to return to the main page.