Water Scarcity & Droughts in the European Union
- A study on Resource and Economic Efficiency of Water Distribution Networks in the EU has been completed in December 2013. See the final report of the study here.
- A study on Water Performance of Buildings has been completed in August 2012. This study builds on previous studies completed in 2009 and it identifies measures that could bring the most benefit in terms of water saving. The study includes the identification of policies at Member State level that increase water efficiency of buildings, identifies and selects possible policy options and assesses their potential impacts with regards to environmental, social and economic issues. See the final report of the study here.
- A GAP analysis of the Water Scarcity & Droughts policy in the EU has just been completed. The study examines the magnitude of the water scarcity & droughts problems in Europe, identifies the driving forces, pressures and the impacts associated with water scarcity & droughts. In addition, it assesses the adequacy of existing measures, identifies gaps, suggests new measures or a mix of measures and carries out an assessment of the environmental, economic and social impacts and the feasibility of the proposed measures. See the final report of the study here.
- 22-25/05/2012: Green Week 2012
The theme was "Water"
- Read more...
- 25/04/2012 Results of the public consultation on Water Efficiency in Buildings now available here.
- 20/01/2012: Water Saving in Agriculture
- 16/11/2011: The European Commission wants to gather views and additional information on the possible introduction of EU wide measures related to water efficiency in buildings. The consultation offers an opportunity to all interested parties to express their views, to give their opinion on the identified policy options. Read more…
- 08/11/2011: Guidance for administrations on making WFD agricultural measures clear and transparent at farm level
- 08/11/2011: A study assessing how the water footprinting and virtual water approaches, as well as the water related information in agricultural products and foodstuff labelling & certification schemes could be reliably used in policy planning and implementation was adopted in October 2011. It is one of a series of studies supporting the development of the 2012 review of the water scarcity and drought policy, and the Blueprint to safeguard Europe's waters. Read more...
- 01/09/2011: As of today, the Water Scarcity & Droughts factsheet is also available in French, German, Spanish and Italian. The remaining language versions will be available in due course
- 20/07/2011: The European Commission published today a new open call for proposals in the framework of the Preparatory Action on development of prevention activities to halt desertification in Europe. The deadline for applications is 30 September 2011, 17.00.
- 21/03/2011: The European Commission today published the third report on the progress in addressing water scarcity and droughts in Europe
- 04/02/2011: Science-Policy Briefs from the XEROCHORE project are now available for download in 5 languages (DE, EN, ES, FR, IT)
- 04/02/2011: The Handbook on Farm Advisory Systems is now available in all EU languages.
- 05/11/2010: The European Commission is asking interested stakeholders to submit evidence on water scarcity & droughts measures in the EU – click here to see how to contribute.
- 22/09/2010: Brochure on Water Scarcity and Droughts in the European Union
- 21/05/2010: Handbook on Farm Advisory Systems is now available from the website.
- 18/05/2010: Follow-Up Report 2009 has been adopted today. Click here to download.
- 18/05/2010: Call for Proposals announced: Pilot project on development of prevention activities to halt desertification in Europe - deadline for submission: 30 June 2010.
- 18/05/2010: Presentations from the first stakeholder meeting on water scarcity and drought policy are now available on the website. Click here to access them.