policy in the European Union
- Call for Evidence on the economic benefits of EU water policy
The Commission is looking for empirical evidence, studies and concrete feedback on the economic benefits of EU water policy and the costs of non-implementation with a view to launching an open call for tenders for contracting a study, which aims at generating new and solid economic arguments to promote effective protection and efficient use of water resources for the well-being of European nature and citizens. Please click here for further information and to participate in the survey.It was open until 11 March 2016.
- 13/01/2016: EIP Water News edition January 2016 out now!
European Innovation Partnership on Water: Read about our call for applications for our renewed Steering Group. "pipe-in-a-pipe"solutions, an update of the 3rd EIP Water Conference on "How is water innovation succeeding in Europe?"and whom and how to meet participants of your choice in this 27th edition of the EIP Water News. Join over 4,100 readers by subscribing here for monthly EIP Water Newsletters or find ideas and solutions at our Marketplace, one of the world’s largest free databases on water & innovation.
- EIP Water Steering Group Renewal - Public Call for Expression of Interests
The European Innovation Partnership on Water (EIP Water) has entered into its second phase, focusing on the delivery of impacts in fostering the uptake of innovations to address the key water challenges. In order to form the renewed Steering Group for the next three years, EIP Water is making a public call for Expressions of Interest, to involve additional members to those that remain involved since the first phase. If you occupy an executive level in a relevant organisation and have the ambition to further increase EIP Water’s impact, please find further information and apply by 31 January 2016.
- 02/12/2015: The Commission published an Action Plan for Water Reuse within the circular economy
Several actions will be developed in the coming years to promote a further uptake of water reuse in the EU.
Read more about the action plan for water reuse...
- 25/11/2015: New Horizon 2020 calls on water and nature-based solutions
The European Commission will invest almost €16 billion in research and innovation in the next two years under Horizon 2020, the EU’s research and innovation funding scheme, following a new Work Programme for 2016-17.
This includes calls for proposals around the subject of Water and Nature Based Solutions.
The new Work Programme 2016-17 offers funding opportunities through a range of calls for proposals, public procurements and other actions like the Horizon Prizes, together covering nearly 600 topics. The programme’s structure is a reflection of the overall flexibility of Horizon 2020 which focuses on the EU’s long-term priorities and the most pressing societal challenges while allowing it to swiftly address emerging problems such as outbreaks of diseases.
- 28/10/2015: EU introduces more efficient monitoring of drinking water for better protection of public health. Read more...
- 13/10/2015: 3rd EIP Water conference on 10 February 2016 – Registration started!
- 23/09/2015: EIP Water News edition 24 out now!
European Innovation Partnership on Water: Read about ICT4Water, GReen Desalination, how we can accelerate resource recovery from the water cycle, where the water opportunities in the draft Horizon 2020 work programme 2016-2017 are, innovation at the recent World Water Week and the forthcoming EIP Water Conference 2016 on ""How is water innovation succeeding in Europe?" in EIP Water News 24. We invite you to add your project to the compilation of research initiatives to contribute to solving the WFD implementation challenges! Join over 4,100 readers by subscribing here for monthly EIP Water Newsletters or find ideas and solutions at our Marketplace, one of the world’s largest free databases on water & innovation.
- 08/09/2015: Roadmap on the "Maximisation of water reuse in the EU" published!
Read more about the initiative.
- 10/07/2015: Call for tender (framework contract) "Water for Citizens - Support to Commission policy activities on the Bathing Water, Drinking Water and Urban Waste Water Treatment Directives" launched! Deadline to send applications 15/09/2015. More information is available here!
- 8/07/2015: EIP Water News Summer 2015 out now!
European Innovation Partnership on Water: Read about the next EIP Water Conference (10 February 2016, Leeuwarden, NL), innovation procurement, water innovation on the web, Managed Aquifer Recharge Solutions, a lesson in humiliation when it comes to financing full-cycle innovation & more in the EIP Water’s 23rd Newsletter.
Join over 4,000 readers by subscribing here for monthly EIP Water Newsletters or find ideas and solutions at our Marketplace, one of the world’s largest free databases on water & innovation.
- 20/05/2015: Report and news release on European bathing water quality in 2014 published!
- 4th implementation report on the Water Framework Directive and Floods Directive published.
Press release (09/03/2015)
- Report on the public consultation on Water reuse now available. Read more...
- 4th European Water Conference
Brussels, 23–24 March 2015.
Thank you to all who attended and helped make the Conference such a success!
Please go to the Conference Website to view videos and photographs of both days and to find all the conference documents and presentations. The Conference report is now available!
- Updated WFD Factsheet now available in all EU languages. Read more...
- 04/12/2014: Stakeholders meeting on the results of the public consultation on Policy Options to optimise Water Reuse in the EU. Read more...
- 30/07/2014: Launch of Public Consultation on Policy Options to optimise Water Reuse in the EU. Read more...
- 27/05/2014: Bathing water report 2013 season published! Read more...
Commission launches call for applications for stakeholders to apply for observer status in the informal experts groups on urban waste water, drinking water and bathing water. Deadline for applications is 12/05/2014.
- 19/03/2014: Commission says yes to first successful European Citizens' Initiative "Water and sanitation are a human right! Water is a public good, not a commodity!".
As of today, the Water Blueprint for Europe brochure is available in all Community languages. Read more...
- 08.10.2013: Commission Decision on Intercalibration published in the Official Journal. Read more...
- 08/10/2013: Floods Directive – Guidance Document for reporting under the Floods Directive published! Read more...
- 07/08/2013: 7th implementation report on the the Urban waste water treatment Directive published.
- 02/08/2013: New publication! A Water Blueprint for Europe.
- 29/07/2013: A public consultation on the review of Annexes I and II of the Groundwater Directive has been launched and will be open until mid-October 2013 with the aim of collecting opinions on different policy options for the review of the Annexes, and to identify missing options and gather data on impacts.
You can participate and find all relevant information here.
- 10/01/2013: New Publication! LIFE's Blueprint for water resources. The latest LIFE Focus publication highlights the relevance of LIFE Environment project actions in helping to implement EU water policy.
- 26/11/2012: "Water: we need something better, something more and something new", Speech by Environment Commissioner Janez Potočnik, EU Water Blueprint Conference/Nicosia. Read more (SPEECH/12/861)...
- 15.11.2012: The Fitness Check of EU Water Policy has been finalised. Read more
- 14/11/2012 : Commission publishes a "Blueprint for safeguarding Europe’s water resources", including a Blueprint Communication on a strategy for further steps needed to achieve good status of waters. It also includes a 3rd Implementation report of the Water Framework Directive which assesses the 2009 River Basin Management plans, and a review of the Strategy on Water Scarcity and Drought. Read more...
- 13/07/2012: The Summary Report of the 3rd European Water Conference held on 24-25 May 2012 is now available. Read more...
- 27/06/2012: A new part of
the 'Generation Awake' campaign on resource efficiency, dedicated to
indirect water consumption, has been launched. To find out more,
visit the campaign
website and join its Facebook page.
- 23/05/2012: Clean water at majority of EU holiday destinations
Wise up your water use with Water Maniac Walter
Read more (IP/12/497)...
- 14/05/2012: Press release on the European Innovation Partnership on Water Communication
- 10/05/2012: Open call for tender "Framework contract to provide services to support the development and implementation of EU freshwater policies" published. Deadline for receipt of offers is 05/06/2012. For more information, click here.
- 10/05/2012 - Commission Communication on the European Innovation Partnership on Water adopted!
- 8/5/2012 - Water brochure for young people "Would you drink your wastewater?" now published! Read it here.
- 4/4/2012: Open call for tender "Framework contract for support to the implementation of the water industry directives" now published! Deadline for receipt of offers is 16/05/2012. For more information, click here.
- 22/03/2012 Flash Eurobarometer on Water shows that most Europeans realise the seriousness of water-related problems and support stronger EU action. Read more:
Press Release (22/03/2012)
Summary of the Eurobarometer on Water (March 2012)
- 15/03/2012: Consultation on Policy Options for the Blueprint to Safeguard Europe's Waters. Deadline: 07/06/2012.
- 31/1/2012: Commission proposal on priority substances adopted!
- 20/01/2012: Water Saving in Agriculture
- Read about European Innovation Partnership on Water
- Guidance for administrations on making WFD agricultual measures clear and transparent at farm level
- 11/10/2011: Blueprint leaflet published!
- 01/09/2011: As of today, the Water Scarcity & Droughts factsheet is also available in French, German, Spanish and Italian. The remaining language versions will be available in due course
- 28/06/2011: As of today, the Water Framework Directive brochure is also available in French, German, Spanish, Italian and Polish!
- 16/06/2011: New Bathing Water Report presented by European Commission and European Environment Agency, with an EU-wide report, country reports for 27 Member States.
- 13/05/2011: As of today, the Water Framework Directive factsheet is available in all Community languages!
- 06/04/2011: Commission takes four Member States to court for failing to submit river basin plans.
Read more (IP/11/438)...
Please see Session 3.3 on Water Efficiency - every drop counts, and Session 3.6 on marine resources
Speech by Janez Potočnik: European waters Conference "Future of European Waters", Gödöllő (Budapest). Read more (SPEECH/11/215)...
- 24/03/2011: The European seeks views on how to reduce pressure on Europe's coastal and marine areas through a public consultation
- 21/03/2011: The European Commission today published the third report on the progress in addressing water scarcity and droughts in Europe
- 25/11/2010 - New WFD brochure published !
- 24/11/2010 : Floods: Commission takes Poland to court for not transposing the Directive. Read more (IP/10/1568)
- 24/11/2010: RBMPs: Poland and Romania urged to submit River Basin Management Plans. Read more (IP/10/1570)
- 24/11/2010: WFD: Denmark received reasoned opinion for non-conformity. Read more (IP/10/1571)
- 28/10/2010: France taken to Court and Luxembourg given warning over failure to notify flooding legislation. Read more (IP/10/1423)
- 28/10/2010: Commission urges seven Member States to submit river basin plans. Read more (IP/10/1413)
- 30/09/2010: Commission requests Austria and the Czech Republic to comply with rules on flood prevention. Read more (IP/10/1264)
- 30/09/2010: Commission asks Belgium to comply with EU water legislation. Read more (IP/10/1263)
- 22/09/2010: Brochure on Water Scarcity and Droughts in the European Union
- 14/07/2010: Poland receives Reasoned opinion for non-Communication of the Floods Directive. Read more (IP/10/940)
- 24/06/2010: Groundwater : Commission brings BE to Court. Read more (IP/10/830)
- 24/06/2010: Drinking water: Commission welcomes French compliance with EU rules on nitrate pollution in Brittany. Read more (IP/10/831)
- 24/06/2010: Floods and WFD : Commission sends second warning. Read more (IP/10/832)
- 24/06/2010: Waste Water treatment: Commission seeks substantial fines for Belgium; sends fresh warning to Luxembourg. Read more (IP/10/835)
- 10/06/2010: New Bathing Water Report presented by European Commission and European Environment Agency, with an EU-wide report, country reports for 27 Member States, plus for the first time country reports for Croatia and Switzerland.
- 3/06/2010: Commission launched infringements against 12 Member States for failure to report River basin Management Plans. Read more (IP/10/685)
- 03/06/2010: Commisison takes BE to Court for failure to transpose the Groundwater Directive. Read more (IP/10/686)
- 01/06/2010: BISE - Biodiversity Information System for Europe - launched
- 18/05/2010:Water scarcity and droughts – a major concern for many areas in Europe. Read more (IP/10/577)
- 18/05/2010:Water scarcity and droughts: the Follow-up Report 2009 and accompanying Staff Working Document are now available.
- 09/03/2010: Groundwater threshold values - Commission report published