Legislation and guidelines
Council Directive 99/31/EC of 26 April 1999 on the landfill of waste entered into force on 16.07.1999. The deadline for implementation of the legislation in the Member States was 16.07.2001.
Ancillary legislation relating to landfill of waste:
- Commission Decision 2000/738/EC concerning a questionnaire for Member States reports on the implementation of Directive 1999/31/EC on the landfill of waste
- COUNCIL DECISION of 19 December 2002 establishing criteria and procedures for the acceptance of waste at landfills pursuant to Article 16 of and Annex II to Directive 1999/31/EC (2003/33/EC)
Guidance on landfill gas control – this non-binding guidance has been prepared in order to:
- help competent authorities improve methane collection through the enforcement of the Landfill Directive requirements;
- provide clarity on landfill gas control requirements within the context of the technical and regulatory requirements of the Landfill Directive;
- set out the most important criteria in ensuring effective collection, treatment and use of landfill gas.
This document has been consulted with Member States and approved following the Technical Adaptation Committee meeting on 17 December 2013.