Workshop on Mediterranean forest management and Natura 2000
Dates: 9 – 11 May 2016
Location: Parc naturel régional du Luberon, France
Forty experts (researchers, private and public forest owners, foresters and nature policy officers) from 5 countries (France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain) participated in this two-day workshop. This workshop is a follow-up event of the Mediterranean Biogeographical Kick-off Seminar (held in Thessaloniki, Greece, in May 2014) and enabled more concrete exchanges on management actions in favour of biodiversity in managed forests. The workshop addressed current issues in Mediterranean forest management, focussing particularly on integrated management approaches, benefiting both forestry and nature conservation and presented examples of approaches, shared results and discussed strategies and good practices that could contribute to the conservation and restoration of ecological networks in managed forests.
Please find the programme of this workshop here
You can find practical information regarding this workshop here .
You can find the overview of contributions to this workshop here .
The final report can be found here .
More information on the event will follow shortly.
- Challenges and threats for Mediterranean forests - Dr Thierry Gauqelin, Member of CS du Parc Institut Mediterranéen de Biodiversité et d’Ecologie, France
- Scaling Mediterranean biodiversity in space and time - Dr Jacques Blondel, Director of Research Emeritus at the Centre of Functional and Evolutionary Ecology (CNRS) in Montpellier, France
- Actions to maintain and restore the Luberon Forest’s biodiversity: focus on old-growth and ancient forests network - Ms Sophie Bourlon, Natura 2000 Project Manager at the Luberon Regional Nature Park, France
- Field visit (en)
- Field visit (fr)
- Ecological evaluation and management recommendations for a private forest - Tifany Ripart, Bac Technologique STAV,Pétrarque-Avignon
- Contrats Natura 2000 forestiers - bois sénescents (only in French)
- Trame de vieux boisdans le Parc naturel régional du Luberon (only in Frech)
- Assessing the Relevance of the NATURA 2000 Mediterranean forest habitats in the Iberian Peninsula - Dr Inês Marques Duarte, Centre for Applied Ecology “Prof. Baeta Neves”, Portugal
- Knowledge concerning ecological connectivity for bats, in particular old growth networks, in Mediterranean forests - Mr Emmanuel Cosson, Groupe chiroptères de Provence, France
- Old growth forest networks: definition, strategy of implementation, partnerships, knowledge strategy for areas on free evolution link with ancient woodlands program - Mr Mathieu Baconnet, Parc national des Cévennes, France
- Old-growth forests in Spain: some examples of networks at the international, national and regional levels - Mr Oscar Schwendtner, Forestry Engineer, Bioma Forestal (Spain) and Mr José Antonio Atauri, Europarc Spain
- Examples of integrated forest management in Greece - Dr Petros Kakouros, EKBY, Greece
- Management of Mediterranean forests to improve its resilience to Climate Change - Dr Donato La Mela Veca, D.R.E.Am. Italy