Our Oceans, Seas and Coasts
- The LIFE programme plays an important role in safeguarding the health of our seas and oceans. LIFE has co-funded some 120 projects that have mobilised some €320 million, including an EU contribution of €170 million. This brochure looks at some of those projects that aim to protect marine ecosystems and biodiversity
- The study on the "Background information for sustainable aquaculture development, addressing environmental protection in particular" has been published. It gathers information on European aquaculture development in the context of environmental protection, in particular the Water Framework Directive (WFD) and Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) through literature review and extensive stakeholder consultation.
- "Just because you can't see it, it doesn't mean it isn't there" flyer on marine litter published as part of the public consultation. Full details on the consultation and its results are available here.
- Analytical report of the coherence of geographical scales and aggregation rules published here.
- Frequently Asked Questions about links between the MSFD and the implementation of the Habitats and Birds Directive (resp. 92/43/EEC and 2009/147/EC).
The document aims to identify and clarify interactions, synergies, differences and potential areas for greater coordination between these instruments concerning the conservation of marine biodiversity. It has benefitted from the joint input of Member States dealing with the implementation of the three Directives. Read more here!
- The study on the "Economic assessment of policy measures for the implementation of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive" has been published. It proposes an economic assessment of four categories of policy measures that could be used to implement the MSFD: Command-and-Control instruments; Market-Based Instruments; social instruments (information, awareness raising); and technical measures. Click here for more information.
Marine Strategy Framework Directive
Directive 2008/56/EC of 17 June 2008 establishing a framework for community action in the field of marine environmental policy (Marine Strategy Framework Directive)
Commission Decision of 1 September 2010 on criteria and methodological standards on good environmental status of marine waters
Commission Staff Working Paper on the Relationship between the initial assessment of marine waters and the criteria for good environmental status
Guidelines on the application of the Water Framework Directive (WFD) and the Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) in relation to aquaculture (SWD2016)178)
Reporting Package for 2012 reporting for the MSFD
JRC MSFD Task Group Reports, March-April 2010:
- Task Group 1 Report, Biological diversity
- Task Group 2 Report, Non-indigenous species
- Task Group 3 Report, Commercially exploited fish and shellfish
- Task Group 4 Report, Food webs
- Task Group 5 Report, Eutrophication
- Task Group 6 Report, Seafloor integrity
- Task Group 8 Report, Contaminants and pollution effects
- Task Group 9 Report, Contaminants in fish and other seafood
- Task Group 10 Report, Marine litter
- Task Group 11 Report, Underwater noise and other forms of energy
Integrated Maritime Policy
Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, Towards the integration of maritime surveillance: A common information sharing environment for the EU maritime domain, October 2009 (COM(2009)540 final)
Commission staff working document, Accompanying document to the Report from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions - Progress report on the EU's integrated maritime policy, October 2009 (SEC(2009) 1343 final).
Commission staff working document, EU led actions relevant for the integration of maritime surveillance activities, October 2009, SEC(2009) 1341 final
Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament on the Draft Roadmap towards establishing a Common Information Sharing Environment for the surveillance of the EU maritime domain, COM(2010) 584 final
“Integrating Maritime Surveillance – Common Information Sharing Environment (CISE)”, user-friendly version, published in 2010
Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, Developing the international dimension of the Integrated Maritime Policy of the European Union, October 2009, (COM(2009)536 final)
Regional Sea Conventions
Convention on the Protection of the Marine Environment of the Baltic Sea Area, 1992
Convention for the Protection Of The Mediterranean Sea Against Pollution
Convention on the Protection of the Black Sea Against Pollution
Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the North-East Atlantic