Logo LIFE

SRNEXT_4_LIFE - Demonstration of the next phase in shredder residue recycling: separating black plastics and minerals

LIFE12 ENV/NL/000980


Project description   Environmental issues   Beneficiaries   Administrative data   Print   PDF version  
 

Contact details:

Project Manager: Rene VASTERT
Fax: 31402220950
Email: rene.vastert@goudsmit-magnetics.nl



Project description:

Background

Because of the multitude of different materials they are made from, end-of-life vehicles (ELVs) and electronic equipment (waste electrical and electronic equipment: WEEE) are especially hard to recycle. These two waste streams alone account for some 8 million tonnes of waste per year in Europe. Some ELV and WEEE components, such as glass and metal parts, can be recycled fairly easily. A recycling percentage of 80% can therefore be easily obtained. The challenge lies in the recycling or reuse of the remaining 20%, which is mostly automotive or WEEE shredder residue (SR), consisting of plastic, rubber and other substances. Recycling of SR is not common practice, for the following reasons:

  • Lack of value of SR, and the low cost of landfilling of certain waste streams; and
  • Lack of proper recycling facilities to handle the additional separation of the waste.
  • Notwithstanding these problems, EU legislation requires 95% of the ELV waste stream to be recycled by 2015. To further recycle SR, which is currently regarded as valueless waste, and to approach the 95% level, new technologies and processes are required.


    Objectives

    The SRNEXT_4_LIFE project would demonstrate an integrated recycling solution for automotive and WEEE shredder residue. Using an innovative separation process, this solution would have been able to separate and increase the recycling efficiency of SR waste streams to 97%, thus surpassing the 95% objective fixed by the European Union's ELV legislation. The process would be demonstrated in a first full-scale application.

    The beneficiary would establish and demonstrate additional separation steps to recycle minerals and black plastics from SR. Finally, the organic residues resulting from this process would have been used to make energy pellets. Once the integrated recycling solution would be implemented and demonstrated, the project would assess its cost-effectiveness, technical feasibility, and the environmental benefits that might derive from it.

    Expected results: The project expected to achieve the following results:

    • A fully constructed and tested automotive and WEEE SR waste recycling plant with a recycling efficiency of 97% and an eventual capacity of 150 000 tonnes/yr;
    • Demonstration that the plant is capable of separating and recovering metals, non-ferrous material, non-recyclable plastics, wood and currently valueless waste streams such as black plastics, minerals and compressed fibres; and
    • Fabrication of energy pellets from the organic residues.


    Results

    The cooordinating beneficiary requested early termination of the project.


    Top


Environmental issues addressed:

Themes

Industry-Production - Electric - Electronics - Optical
Waste - Waste from Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)
Waste - End-of-Life Vehicles (ELV's) and tyres


Keywords

waste recycling


Natura 2000 sites

Not applicable


Top


Beneficiaries:

Coordinator Goudsmit Magnetics Groep B.V.
Type of organisation SME Small and medium sized enterprise
Description Goudsmit Magnetics is a family-owned company with 50 years' experience of designing and manufacturing magnets and magnetic systems for a vast range of applications. Goudsmit exports to some 80 different countries throughout the world. Goudsmit Magnetics Groep is the parent company of Comirec B.V., which is where the project will be carried out.
Partners Goudsmit Magnetic Systems B.V., The Netherlands Comirec B.V., The Netherlands

Top




Project reference LIFE12 ENV/NL/000980
Duration 01-JUL-2013 to 30-JUN -2016
Total budget 2,131,278.00 €
EU contribution 826,371.00 €
Project location Groningen(Nederland),Friesland(Nederland),Drenthe(Nederland),Overijssel(Nederland),Gelderland(Nederland),Flevoland(Nederland),Noord-Brabant(Nederland),Limburg(Nederland),Utrecht(Nederland),Noord-Holland(Nederland),Zuid-Holland(Nederland),Zeeland(Nederland)

Top

Project description   Environmental issues   Beneficiaries   Administrative data   Read more   Print   PDF version