European Green Capital Seminar in Brussels
07 May 2010
On 4 May, the European Commission, the Committee of the Regions and the City of Stockholm co-organised a seminar in Brussels entitled “Stockholm, European Green Capital 2010: Role model for Europe”.
At the seminar, representatives from Europe’s first ever Green Capital, Stockholm, shared their views on sustainable urban development – using concrete examples to illustrate how it is possible to improve the living conditions for Europe’s city-dwellers.
The seminar was divided into three sessions. Firstly, a presentation of a new city district in Stockholm planned and developed with high environmental targets. Secondly, a presentation of Stockholm’s efforts to transform large scale post war suburbs into attractive districts with energy efficient housing and varied urban environment. And finally, a closing panel session.
Appearing at the seminar were, among others;
- Mr Janez Potočnik, European Commissioner for the Environment;
- Mr Sten Nordin, the Mayor of Stockholm;
- Mr Claude Turmes, MEP and Vice-President of the Green Group, and;
- Mr Ramón Luis Valcárcel Siso, 1st Vice President of the Committee of the Regions.
Report and other information
For more information on the presentations and discussions see:
- Conference Report (NEW)
- seminar programme
- Official press release
- Commissioner Potočnik’s speech
- Photos on Flickr
- Video Download