Who can apply?
The call for 2019 European Green Leaf Application is now OPEN.
This European Green Leaf Award 2019 is open to:
- Applicant cities from EU Member States, EU Candidate Countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
- Applicant cities from the countries listed above which have a population of 20,000 and up to 100,000 inhabitants.
- A “city” is understood to be an urban area and an administrative unit governed by a city council or another form of democratically elected body.
- In countries where there is no city with more than 20,000 inhabitants, the largest city is eligible to apply.
Rules of contest
- In any given year, cities can apply for either the European Green Capital Award or European Green Leaf Award, but not both at the same time.
- Past winners may not apply for a period of three years after they have been awarded the European Green Leaf title year.
- The signatory should be the Mayor or highest ranking city representative, authorised by national law to legally represent the city.
Download the rules of contest of the European Green Leaf Award here. The rules of contest must be adhered to in order for applicant cities to submit eligible applications.
For more information on putting together an application for the European Green Leaf Award please take a look at our guidance note here.
For further information about the competition please contact the European Green Leaf Award Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your city has a population over 100,000 then you are only eligible to apply for the European Green Capital Award. Find out more here.