For the final stage of the EGCA competition, shortlisted cities are invited to present a communications strategy substantiated by action plans on how they intend to fulfill their Green Capital year to an international Jury.
The Jury assesses the shortlisted cities based on the following evaluation criteria:
- The city’s overall commitment, vision and enthusiasm as conveyed through the presentation.
- The city’s capacity to act as a role model, inspiring other cities, promoting best practices and further raising awareness of the EGC model.
- The city’s communication strategy and actions, which should address:
- Citizen communication and involvement to date in relation to the 12 environmental indicators, effectiveness via changes in citizen behaviour, lessons learned and proposed modifications for the future.
- The extent of the city’s partnering (local, regional and national) to gain maximum social and economic leverage.
- How they intend to fulfil their role of EU Ambassador, inspiring other cities.
Following these hearings the Jury deliberates and selects the winner of the European Green Capital Award. The winner is announced at an annual Awards Ceremony.
This year the Jury includes representatives from:
|The European Commission, DG Environment|
|The Committee of the Regions|
|The European Environment Agency|
|ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability|
|The Covenant of Mayors Office|
For more information on the application process please click here