The shortlisted cities are invited to present their vision, action plans and communication strategy to the Jury.
The Jury will assess the shortlisted cities based on the following evaluation criteria:
1) The city’s overall commitment, vision and enthusiasm as conveyed through the presentation.
2) The city’s capacity to act as a role model to inspire other cities, promote best practices and spread the EGC model further – bearing in mind city size and location.
3) The city’s communication actions including:
• Citizen communication to date in relation to the 12 environmental criteria, effectiveness via changes in citizen behaviour, lessons learned and proposed modifications for the future.
• The extent to which the city’s local partnering has gained social and economic advantages.
• Outline of the city’s EGC communication strategy should it win.
The Jury includes representatives from:
The European Commission, DG Environment
The European Parliament, ENVI Committee
The Committee of the Regions
The European Environment Agency
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
The European Environmental Bureau
The Covenant of Mayors Office
Following these hearings the Jury will deliberate and the European Green Capital 2018 will be announced at an award ceremony in June 2016 in Ljubljana, European Green Capital 2016
For more information on the application process please click here