The shortlisted cities for EGCA 2020 will be invited to present a communications strategy substantiated by action plans on how they intend to fulfill their green capital year to an international Jury in May/June 2018.
The Jury will assess the shortlisted cities based on the following evaluation criteria:
- The city’s overall commitment, vision and enthusiasm as conveyed through the presentation.
- The city’s capacity to act as a role model, inspiring other cities, promoting best practices and further raising awareness of the EGC model.
- The city’s communication strategy and actions, which should address:
- Citizen communication and involvement to date in relation to the 12 environmental indicators, effectiveness via changes in citizen behaviour, lessons learned and proposed modifications for the future.
- The extent of the city’s partnering (local, regional and national) to gain maximum social and economic leverage.
- How they intend to fulfil their role of EU Ambassador, inspiring other cities.
This year the Jury includes representatives from:
|The European Commission, DG Environment|
|The European Parliament, ENVI Committee|
|The Committee of the Regions|
|The European Environment Agency|
|ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability|
|The European Environmental Bureau|
|The Covenant of Mayors Office|
Following these hearings the Jury will deliberate and the European Green Capital 2019 will be announced at an award ceremony in June 2017 in Essen, European Green Capital 2017.
For more information on the application process please click here