The call for applications to the 2019 European Green Capital Award is now CLOSED.
The selection of a city awarded with the title of European Green Capital is assessed on the basis of twelve environmental indicators:
- Climate change: mitigation and adaptation
- Local transport
- Green urban areas incorporating sustainable land use
- Nature and biodiversity
- Ambient air quality
- Quality of the acoustic environment
- Waste production and management
- Water management
- Waste water treatment
- Eco innovation and sustainable employment
- Energy performance
- Integrated environmental management
Information to be provided by the applicant cities:
In the 2019 EGCA Application Form, cities are asked to provide the following information for 12 indicator areas.
The Application Form has 4 sections per indicator, as follows:
- Describe the present situation.
- Describe the measures implemented over the last five to ten years.
- Describe the short and long term objectives for the future and proposed approach to achieve these.
- List how the above information can be documented, add links where possible.
Two-tier evaluation process
A panel of internationally acknowledged Experts will assess the information supplied by each city. This will include qualitative evaluations and a peer review of each application based on the 12 indicators above. A shortlist of cities will be determined by the Expert Panel for the 2019 EGCA.
The shortlisted cities will be invited to present their action plans and communication strategies to the Jury. Following these presentations the Jury will deliberate and the European Green Capital 2019 will be announced at an award ceremony in Essen in June 2017.
Key dates in 2016/2017
- 3rd May 2016 – Launch of call for applications to be the European Green Capital 2019.
- 1rd July 2016 – Applicant Cities Workshop for European Green capital Award held in Brussels.
- 3rd November 2016 at 16.00 CET – Deadline for eligible cities to submit their application for the 2019 EGCA via the online application system.
- November 2016 – March 2017 –Expert panel review of all applications including clarifications where needed (2019 EGCA).
- Early April 2017 – Announcement of 2019 EGCA shortlisted cities.
- 31st May -1st June 2017 – Presentations and Jury assessment.
- 2nd June 2017 – 2019 Award Ceremony to take place in Essen, Germany.