The selection of a city to be awarded the European Green Capital for 2016 will be assessed on the basis of twelve environmental indicator areas:
- Climate change: mitigation and adaptation
- Local transport
- Green urban areas incorporating sustainable land use
- Nature and biodiversity
- Ambient air quality
- Quality of the acoustic environment
- Waste production and management
- Water management
- Waste water treatment
- Eco innovation and sustainable employment
- Energy performance
- Integrated environmental management
Information to be provided by the applicant cities:
In the application, cities are asked to provide the following information for 12 indicator areas.
The 2016 Award Application Form has a new City Introduction and Context section and 4 sections per indicator, as follows:
- Describe the present situation
- Describe the measures implemented over the last five to ten years.
- Describe the short and long term objectives for the future and proposed approach to achieve these.
- List how the above information can be documented, add links where possible.
Two-tier evaluation process
A panel of internationally acknowledged Experts will assess the information supplied by each city. This will include qualitative evaluations and a peer review of each application based on the 12 indicators above.
Following these evaluations, a number of cities will be shortlisted for the 2016 title. The shortlisted cities will be invited to present their action plans and communication strategies to the Jury.
Following these presentations the Jury will deliberate and the European Green Capital 2016 will be announced at an award ceremony in June 2014.
Key dates in 2013/2014
- 17th June 2013 – Launch of call for applications to be the European Green Capital 2016
- 30th August 2013 – Applicant Cities Workshop to be held in Brussels
- 17th October 2013 – Deadline for eligible cities to submit their application via the online application system
- November 2013 – March 2014 – Expert panel review of all applications including clarifications where needed
- April 2014 – Preparation of shortlisted cities
- April 2014 – Announcement of shortlisted cities
- June 2014 – Presentations to the Jury and the 2016 Award Ceremony to take place in Copenhagen at the end of June 2014 (exact timing to be confirmed in April)