The call for applications to the 2019 European Green Capital Award is now OPEN.
The selection of a city awarded with the title of European Green Capital is assessed on the basis of twelve environmental indicators:
- Climate change: mitigation and adaptation
- Local transport
- Green urban areas incorporating sustainable land use
- Nature and biodiversity
- Ambient air quality
- Quality of the acoustic environment
- Waste production and management
- Water management
- Waste water treatment
- Eco innovation and sustainable employment
- Energy performance
- Integrated environmental management
Information to be provided by the applicant cities:
In the 2018 EGCA application form, cities were asked to provide the following information for 12 indicator areas.
The application form has four sections per indicator, as follows:
- Describe the present situation
- Describe the measures implemented over the last five to ten years.
- Describe the short and long term objectives for the future and proposed approach to achieve these.
- List how the above information can be documented, add links where possible.
Two-tier evaluation process
A panel of internationally recognised experts assess information supplied by each city. This includes qualitative evaluations and peer review of each application based on the 12 indicators above. A shortlist of cities is then decided by the expert panel.
Next, shortlisted cities are invited to present their action plans and communication strategies to a jury. Following the presentations, the jury deliberates to decide a winner. The European Green Capital 2018 will be announced at an award ceremony in Ljubljana on 22 June 2016.
Key dates in 2016 and 2017
- 3 May 2016 — Launch of call for applications for 2019 European Green Capital Award.
- 1 July 2016 — Applicant workshop for 2019 European Green Capital competition
- 3 November 2016 — Deadline for eligible cities to submit their application for 2019 European Green Capital competition.
- November 2016 to March 2017 — Expert panel review of all applications including clarifications where needed (2019 EGCA).
- June 2017 — Jury assessment and announcement of the 2019 winner.