The call for applications to the 2020 European Green Capital Award is now OPEN.
The selection of a city awarded with the title of European Green Capital is assessed on the basis of twelve environmental indicators:
- Climate change: mitigation
- Climate Change: adaptation
- Sustainable urban mobility
- Sustainable land use
- Nature and biodiversity
- Air quality
- Green Growth and Eco-innovation
- Energy performance
Information to be provided by the applicant cities:
In the 2020 EGCA Application Form, cities are asked to provide the following information for 12 indicator areas.
The Application Form has 4 sections per indicator, as follows:
- Describe the present situation.
- Describe the measures implemented over the last five to ten years.
- Describe the short and long term objectives for the future and proposed approach to achieve these.
- List how the above information can be documented, add links where possible.
For information on putting together an application for the European Green Capital Competition please take a look at our guidance note.
Two-tier evaluation process
A panel of internationally acknowledged Experts will assess the information supplied by each city. This will include qualitative evaluations and a peer review of each application based on the 12 indicators above. A shortlist of cities will be determined by the Expert Panel for the 2020 EGCA.
The shortlisted cities will be invited to present their action plans and communication strategies to the Jury. Following these presentations the Jury will deliberate and the European Green Capital 2020 will be announced at an award ceremony in in May/June 2018.
Key dates in 2017/2018
- 27th May 2017 – Competition opens
- 27th June 2017 – Applicant workshop
- 18th October 2017 at 16.00 CEST (GMT +2)
- November 2017 – March 2018 – Assessment by Expert Panel
- April 2018 – Announcement of shortlisted cities
- May/June 2018 – Jury presentations by shortlisted cities
- May/June 2017 – Awards ceremony