The selection of a city awarded with the title of European Green Capital is assessed on the basis of twelve environmental indicators:
- Climate change: mitigation and adaptation
- Local transport
- Green urban areas incorporating sustainable land use
- Nature and biodiversity
- Ambient air quality
- Quality of the acoustic environment
- Waste production and management
- Water management
- Waste water treatment
- Eco innovation and sustainable employment
- Energy performance
- Integrated environmental management
Information to be provided by the applicant cities:
In the 2018 EGCA Application Form, cities are asked to provide the following information for 12 indicator areas.
The Application Form has 4 sections per indicator, as follows:
- Describe the present situation
- Describe the measures implemented over the last five to ten years.
- Describe the short and long term objectives for the future and proposed approach to achieve these.
- List how the above information can be documented, add links where possible.
The application form will be available from June 3rd 2015.
Two-tier evaluation process
A panel of internationally acknowledged Experts will assess the information supplied by each city. This will include qualitative evaluations and a peer review of each application based on the 12 indicators above.
4 cities have been shortlisted for the 2017 EGCA. The shortlisted cities have now been invited to present their action plans and communication strategies to the Jury.
Following these presentations the Jury will deliberate and the European Green Capital 2017 will be announced at an award ceremony in Bristol on 18th June 2015.
Key dates in 2015/2016
- 3rd June 2015 – Launch of call for applications to be the European Green Capital 2018
- 17th June 2015 – Presentations of the 2017 EGCA shortlisted cities to the Jury
- 18th June 2015 – 2017 EGCA Awards Ceremony to take place in Bristol
- 3rd July 2015 – Applicant Cities Workshop to be held in Brussels
- 19th October 2015 – Deadline for eligible cities to submit their application for the 2018 EGCA via the online application system
- November 2015 – March 2016 –Expert panel review of all applications including clarifications where needed ( 2018 EGCA)
- April 2016 – Announcement of shortlisted cities
- June 2016 – Presentations to the Jury and the 2018 Award Ceremony to take place in Ljubljana (exact timing to be confirmed in April 2016)