The call for applications to the 2020 EGCA is now OPEN.
Rules of Contest
Download the rules of contest of the European Green Capital Award here.
At present, the eligibility criteria for the EGCA are as follows:
- The European Green Capital Award is open to EU Member States, EU Candidate Countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
- All cities from the countries listed above which have more than 100,000 inhabitants can apply for the award.
- In countries where there is no city with more than 100,000 inhabitants, the largest city is eligible to apply.
- A “city” is understood to be an urban area, excluding metropolitan areas, larger urban zones and conurbations, and is understood as an administrative unit governed by a city council or another form of democratically elected body.
- In any given year, cities can apply for either the European Green Capital Award or European Green Leaf Award, but not both at the same time.
- Past winners may not apply for a period of ten years after they held the European Green Capital title year
- The signatory should be the Mayor or highest ranking city representative, authorised by national law to legally represent the city