Rules of Contest
Download the rules of contest of the European Green Capital Award here.
At present, the eligibility criteria for the EGCA are as follows:
- The European Green Capital Award is open to EU Member States, EU Candidate Countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
- All cities from the countries listed above which have more than 100,000 inhabitants can apply for the award.
- In countries where there is no city with more than 100,000 inhabitants, the largest city is eligible to apply.
- A “city” is understood to be an urban area, excluding metropolitan areas, larger urban zones and conurbations, and is understood as an administrative unit governed by a city council or another form of democratically elected body.
- In any given year, cities can apply for either the European Green Capital Award or European Green Leaf Award, but not both at the same time.
- Past winners may not apply for a period of ten years after they held the European Green Capital title year
- The signatory should be the Mayor or highest ranking city representative, authorised by national law to legally represent the city