The Call for Applications for the 2017 European Green Capital closed on the 20th of October 2014. The Call for Applications for the 2018 European Green Capital will open on the 3rd of June 2015.
The Applicant Workshop for the 2018 competition cycle will take place on Friday 3rd July 2015 in Brussels. If you are interested in finding out more about this workshop or registering to attend the workshop please email Greencapitalsecretariat@rpsgroup.com. To view the agenda for this workshop please click here.
The day provides potential applicants with an overview of the competition process, the do’s and dont’s of applying, advice from previous applicants, finalists and winners and opportunities to network with other environmental frontrunners from across Europe.
To view presentations from the applicant workshops for the 2016 and 2015 appcycles please click on the links below:
Interested in why your city should apply to be European Green Capital 2018? See the Why Apply? tips below or view our Will your City 2018? brochure.
Outlined below are some of the main advantages for cities applying for the European Green Capital Award. Taking part is just as important as winning ‐ city examples are also included.
1. Preparing and submitting an EGC application is a useful tool for cities to measure their progress and as a benchmarking tool against peers across Europe
Brussels Representative – Award Ceremony 2013, Nantes. “ We are all competitors here, but first we are partners”
2. The European Green Capital Award allows for an exchange of “Best Practices” across European cities.
Stockholm Representative – Award Ceremony 2013, Nantes. “Not just a competition, but a community of technical experts and officials who meet to discuss environmentally sustainable cities in Europe.”
3. Preparing an application is a great opportunity for inter‐departmental communications & relations within the Local Authority. Enhances local authority cross department communication which can lead to a clearer overall picture of the city.
Stockholm Representative – Award Ceremony 2013, Nantes. “ The Application process itself was very useful to us. We had to scrutinise the city and get all of the city administration on the band wagon”.
4. It is useful to have one document to show the status of all the green initiatives in the city. Expert feedback on a cities application can be used to identify strong and weak areas of the city.
Ljubljana City Planner – Useful to have all information collated in the one document for a holistic approach to planning.
5. Data collected for the application form may have many uses. It is an ideal opportunity to create a Sustainability Report for the city.
Dublin City Council – Has prepared a sustainability report in conjunction with submitting an application. The set of sustainability indicators as published in the report includes factors similar to the 12 environmental indicators as ssessed by the Expert Panel as part of the European Green Capital Award. More info is available here.
6. Enhances citizen participation via bid campaign e.g. Backing Bristol Campaign
Copenhagen Representative – Award Ceremony 2013, Nantes. “Copenhageners are the most important stakeholders, without them we would not have even won the award”