The Applicant Workshop for the 2021 European Green Capital Award took place on 2 July 2018 in Brussels.
The Workshop provided cities with an overview of the 2021 Evaluation Process along with helpful tips and advice on what makes a successful application.
Previous Applicant Workshops
To view presentations from the applicant workshops for the previous cycles including 2021 click on the links below:
Interested in why your city should apply to be a European Green Capital? See the Why Apply? tips below.
Outlined below are some of the main advantages for cities applying for the European Green Capital Award. Taking part is just as important as winning ‐ city examples are also included.
1. Preparing and submitting an EGC application is a useful tool for cities to measure their progress and can be used as a benchmarking tool against peers across Europe
Brussels Representative – Award Ceremony 2013, Nantes. “ We are all competitors here, but first we are partners”
2. The European Green Capital Award allows for an exchange of “Best Practices” across European cities.
Stockholm Representative – Award Ceremony 2013, Nantes. “Not just a competition, but a community of technical experts and officials who meet to discuss environmentally sustainable cities in Europe.”
3. Preparing an application is a great opportunity for inter‐departmental communications & relations within the Local Authority. Enhances local authority cross department communication which can lead to a clearer overall picture of the city.
Stockholm Representative – Award Ceremony 2013, Nantes. “ The Application process itself was very useful to us. We had to scrutinise the city and get all of the city administration on the band wagon”.
4. It is useful to have one document to show the status of all the green initiatives in the city. Expert feedback on a city’s application can be used to identify strong and weak areas of the city.
Ljubljana City Planner – Useful to have all information collated in the one document for a holistic approach to planning.
5. Data collected for the application form may have many uses. It is an ideal opportunity to create a Sustainability Report for the city.
Dublin City Council – Has prepared a sustainability report in conjunction with submitting an application. The set of sustainability indicators as published in the report includes factors similar to the 12 environmental indicators as assessed by the Expert Panel as part of the European Green Capital Award. More info is available here.
6. Enhances citizen participation via bid campaign e.g. Backing Bristol Campaign
Copenhagen Representative – Award Ceremony 2013, Nantes. “Copenhageners are the most important stakeholders, without them we would not have even won the award.”