In the framework of implementation of environmental management systems (ISO 14001 and EMAS), Czech enterprises can obtain a subsidy for introduction of EMS from three possible sources:
The MARKET Programme is a programme of support guaranteed by the Ministry of Industry and Trade in the framework of which the Czech-Moravian Guarantee and Development Bank provides financial support to small and medium-sized enterprises located in the territory of the Czech Republic, for the purposes of
- payment of interest on credit intended for acquisition of tangible or intangible investment property;
- implementation of a Quality Management System or Environmental Management System (ISO 9000, ISO 14001 and EMAS);
- acquisition of the label of accordance with the CSN TEST standard.
Conditions for obtaining the support are:
- the enterprise must meet the criteria for a small or medium-sized enterprise;
- the enterprise must not have any outstanding debts in relation to the state bodies and authorities (e.g. the tax authority);
- the project must be implemented in the territory of the Czech Republic;
- the project must have the character of industrial, construction or craft production, services, trade or public transport of a regional importance (except for taxi service);
- the certification authority must have valid accreditation for the relevant activity by the date of issuing the certificate.
Contribution to payment of interest
This contribution can be obtained by small and medium-sized enterprises that own a certificate pursuant to ISO 9000 or ISO 14000 standards or have introduced EMAS. It applies to payment of interest on credit intended for acquisition of tangible or intangible investment property (in particular land, buildings, structures, machines and equipment, means of transport and know-how).
The contribution is provided in the amount of five-percent interest on bank credit and is paid gradually in connection with paying-off the credit (with a maximum of four years). The total amount of the contribution may not exceed 5 mil. CZK.
Contribution for acquisition of management system certification
In the framework of the MARKET Programme, small and medium-sized enterprises can also obtain a contribution for the acquisition of a certificate pursuant to ISO 9000 or ISO 14000 standards or the introduction of EMAS. It applies to fees, payments for advisory and training activities, legal, environmental, energy and other audits connected with issuing a new certificate or introducing EMAS. The certificate is not provided for the payment of costs connected with renewal of certificates.
The contribution may be provided only after acquiring the certificate or implementing EMAS, as appropriate, and submission of documents on costs for its acquisition or introduction, as appropriate. The contribution may be provided for up to 50 % of the costs; however, it may not exceed 200,000 CZK. In introduction of an integrated system pursuant to both ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 standards, this limit is increased to 300,000 CZK.
Ministry of Industry and Trade
Na Frantiku 32
CZ - 11015 Prague 1
Ing. Ladislav Spacek, CSc.
Department for Sustainable Development
In the framework of implementation of EMS/EMAS, a contribution may be provided by the State Environmental Fund for implementation and certification of
- EMS pursuant to ISO 14001;
- EMS pursuant to ISO 14001 and EMAS;
- Integrated management system, QMS (pursuant to ISO 9000 standards) and EMS (pursuant to ISO 14001);
- Integrated management system, QMS (pursuant to ISO 9000 standards) and EMAS;
- Integrated management system, QMS (pursuant to ISO 9000 standards) and EMS (pursuant to ISO 14001 and EMAS).
Support is intended as a contribution to payment of costs connected with a project of implementation and certification of EMS. Successful certification is an essential condition for a subsidy to be provided, so applicants, who want only to implement but not to certify EMS, will not be granted.
Support is provided in the form of a subsidy, that may not exceed 50 % of the costs in the case of ISO 14001 and 60% in the case of EMAS. (The conditions for the provision of specific individual assistance are always laid down in the Agreement on provision of assistance.)
Criteria applied by SEF in selection of undertakings eligible for assistance are:
- specific investment costs per a unit of pollution (environmental benefit is expressed in monetary units as the degree of avoided payments for pollution);
- size of the enterprise with assignment of priorities according to size
- 25-500 employees;
- 0-25 employees;
- regional priorities of environmental protection
State Environmental Fund
CZ - 14800 Prague 11
Ing. Ivana Stríchlová
Department of Technology, Waste and Alternative Sources
In the framework of their competencies, single regions can introduce various regional programmes of support (including programmes of EMS implementation support).
The first region, in which such programme was introduced (in February 2003), is region Vysosina with the programme ISO certification for improvement of competitiveness of small enterprises. Under this programme each enterprise with less than 50 employees may receive financial support for certification or re-certification of a management system according to ISO 9000 and/or ISO 14001.