On 25 May at the Abbey of Badia a Passignano near Florence, 14 organisations registered with EMAS received a special prize for their communication efforts. This ceremony was organised by the Italian EMAS Competent Body (the Ecolabel and Ecoaudit Committee), ISPRA, the national institute for environmental protection and research, and the Municipality of Tavarnelle Val di Pesa. Five organisations also received honorary mentions.
This is the fifth time the Italian EMAS Awards have been given out. The awards aim to make EMAS organisations’ unique commitment to environmental excellence and transparency more visible. EMAS-registered organisations publish a report each year on their environmental performance, the environmental statement. The awards are an occasion to honour these efforts and inspire other organisations.
The ceremony was also held in an inspiring room: the “Sala del Cenacolo”, a masterpiece dating from 1400.
45 organisations competed in 3 categories:
- Most effective environmental statements: this category rewarded originality, great graphic design, succinctness and clarity in the environmental statement;
- Most effective promotional and awareness-raising activities: the originality of initiatives launched by EMAS-registered organisations to raise environmental awareness was also assessed, as were the results achieved;
- Best multimedia content: this category rewarded innovative formats of communication materials, great design and effective dissemination strategies.
The competition was tight, and the winners deserve special recognition:
In the category “Most effective environmental statements”, the winners are:
Large organisations (tie):
• ABBVIE Srl (Have a look at the Environmental Statement of ABBVIE)
• SANDOZ INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS SpA (Have a look at the Environmental Statement of SANDOZ)
• NORD ZINC SpA (Environmental Statement of NORD ZINC)
• GE.S.ECO Snc (Environmental Statement of GE.S.ECO)
Public organisations (three-way tie):
• Municipality of PONTBOSET (Environmental Statement of PONTBOSET)
• Municipality of VILLA LAGARINA (Environmental Statement of VILLA LAGARINA)
• ENTE DI GESTIONE DELLA AREE PROTETTE DELL’OSSOLA (Environmental Statement of AREE PROTETTE DELL’OSSOLA)
In the category “Most effective promotional and awareness-raising activities”, the winners are:
In the category “Best multimedia content”, the winners are:
Large organisations (tie):
• ACQUE SpA/ACQUE INDUSTRIALI Srl (Have a look at the video of ACQUE)
• FERALPI SIDERURGICA SpA (Have a look at the video of FERALPI)
• SILEA SpA (video of SILEA)
• Municipality of RAVENNA (video of RAVENNA)
Honorary mentions were also awarded to:
• EFSA - European Food Safety Authority
• MEMC ELECTRONIC Spa
We invite you to have a look at the winners’ environmental statements, communication materials and activities on their websites. Do not hesitate to use the EU Register to find these organisations’ contact information if you would like to send them any feedback or questions. ISPRA, one of the event organisers, can also be contacted: http://www.isprambiente.gov.it/it/certificazioni/news/premio-emas-italia-2018-i-vincitori.
Many organisations innovate every year to improve their communication of their achievements. Check out other examples of best environmental statements here.