A cultural-historical tour is organised on Monday 5 February 2018 from 09h30 to 12h30. Participants will have the opportunity to visit the “St. Alexander Nevski” cathedral temple and Saint Sofia church. The excursion will be conducted in English.
The site visit was limited to 60 participants. Please note that if the maximum number of participants has been reached. Bookings were managed on the principle of first come, first served. Thank you for your understanding.
The cathedral temple “St. Alexander Nevski” is considered as a symbol of the Bulgarian capital. It is located in the center of Sofia, at the eponymous square. The reflection of its golden domes attracts attention from miles away.
The temple was built in honor of the Russian Emperor Alexander the 2nd, whose army liberated Bulgaria of the five-century long Ottoman Dominion in 1878. St. Alexander Nevski, whose name the cathedral bears, was a Russian prince (lived 1220 - 1263) – a great military commander and diplomat. He is a saint, patron of the Russian Emperor Alexander the 2nd and is a symbol of the Russian military glory. The foundation stone was laid on 19 February 1882, but the construction began later – in 1904. The temple was completed as late as in 1912, and was sanctified in 1924.
In accordance with an old custom, a metal box with the names of the government members and the reasons for the building of the temple was embedded in the building foundations.
The St. Sophia Church is situated in the center of the Bulgarian capital, contiguity of the cathedral temple “St. Alexander Nevski”. It is one of the oldest churches in Sofia and its history is closely related to that of the city. Today the temple is perceived as one of the symbols of Sofia.
The church was built in the sixth century. The St. Sofia Church was built on the site of the necropolis of the town of Serdica (the old name of Sofia) and other older churches from IV century and dozens of masonry tombs. Archaeological studies have found fragments of the mosaic of one of the older temples. It is believed that the building can accommodate up to 5,000 people.
In the period XI-XIV century it was a metropolitan church and its glory was so great that in XIV century it gave its name to the city.
The building has been restored several times, and archaeological research has been carried out here since the beginning of the 20th century.