The GREENUP project aims at the production and marked implementation of eco-friendly upholstery products of leather and textile materials for immediate application in seating: public furniture, commercial and private office furniture automotive and other means of transport. This approach will minimise the disposal of processed materials and will contribute to the setting of recycling strategies and integration of recycled waste from the processes involved in the manufacture of upholstery goods. This project offers a new solution for designing new recycling processes for the production of 100% recycled upholstery products. The recycled materials come from the waste generated during different production steps and imply a reduction of textile and leather waste materials. The fully recyclable upholstered seats for furniture seating and transport sector will be possible due to the following three key technologies will be joined: Improvement of leather tanning process, production of recycled polyester yarn and recycled 3D fabrics.
In this page:
The project contributes to the active integration of recycled products in the industry and the production and marked implementation of eco-friendly upholstery products.
- Semi-industrial validation of a new efficient tanning process for upholstery products (reduction of waste generation/decrease in manufacturing cost). New leather cutting method
- Semi-industrial validation of recycling polyester waste and production of polymer chip (reduction of waste generation/decrease in manufacturing cost). Manufacture 100% recycled PET yarn for textile applications. 3D fabrics design and manufacture for replacing the seat foam.
- First development of a new cutting method to integrate the new leather product in conventional cutting process
- Environmental and technical benchmarking for leather and recycled yarn. Assessment of compatible adhesives for joining leather and 3D fabric while being easily reversible for subsequent recycling of the upholstery.
- Identification of potential costumers: automotive, railway, and office chair. Development of several dissemination activities: web page, newsletter, workshops, flyers, posters and fairs.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|LEITAT, LEITAT Technological Centre||Spain|
|AIICA, Association of Research in the Tanning and Attached Industries||Spain|
|ANTEX, ANGLES TEXTIL, S.A.||Spain|
|ECIMA, E.CIMA S.A.U.||Spain|
|TECHNISIT, SAS Societé Industrielle Thiers||France|
LEITAT, LEITAT Technological Centre
218 PASSEIG 22 DE JULIOL
08221 TERRASSA CataluñaSpain
Ms Gemma Avellaneda
+34 93 788 23 00
Duration:01/12/2010 to 01/11/2013