GLASS Plus aims at using the recycled CRT glass – properly treated – to produce high quality, LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) compliant ceramic tiles through an innovative industrial process adopting state of the art technologies and know how. These will save natural resources and energy, giving new life to a precious industrial waste.The whole process – from CRTs to ceramic tiles – will be addressed; innovative materials will be then put onto the market. The GLASS Plus project is indeed focused on processes and technologies for the recycling plants (to get better quality recycled glass) and the ceramic plant (to develop dedicated production lines), as well as for the new generation ceramic goods promotion to the market. The GLASS Plus project aims at manufacturing fine stoneware ceramic tiles which very high technical features adhere to the most severe requirements both at European and International level, even if recycled CRT glass is used inside the ceramic body.
In this page:
GLASS Plus reduces the disposal of post consumer end of life CRT diverting second raw materials toward an innovative production process aimed at manufacturing innovative high quality fine stoneware ceramic tiles. A reduction in the use of energy, the overall carbon footprint and pollution derives.
- GLASS Plus project aims at the industrial implementation of a proved, innovative state-of-the-art production process starting from end-of-life CRTs panels recycling focused on the production of innovative ceramic tiles.
- The utilisation of recycled CRT panel glass brings to the reduction on the use of natural "feldspar", a mineral currently used in the body of the standard tiles and the Zirconium compounds – used as whitening ingredient. These materials requires to be extracted from quarries or mines – bearing an heavy burden in environmental and energy terms. Moreover they comes from far away – e.g. from the Turkey, South Africa, Australia – consuming a lot of transport resources.
- The use of recycled CRT glass diverts big quantities of waste from the landfills, creating value and new job opportunity in the recycling industry. It is also an example of how an end of life post consumer product – also if difficult to dismantle, treat and dispose – can find a new life in a completely different sector.
- The strong reduction of environmental impact obtained avoiding to transport – both by ship and on the road –raw materials from far far away (as Turkey, Ukraine, South Africa, Australia). This will imply a strong reduction both in energy saving terms and in pollution and overall carbon footprint. The carbon dioxide reduction can be estimated in about 0,7 kg CO2 per square meter manufactured, bringing to hundreds of tons of reduction per year.
- The use of recycled CRT panel glass diverts big quantities of waste from the landfills, creating value and new job opportunity in the recycling industry. It is also an example of how an end of life post consumer product – also if difficult to dismantle, treat and dispose – can find a new life in a completely different sector.
Partners and coordinatorList Map
|Meta, Meta S.p.A.||Italy|
|Re.Media, Re.Media consortium||Italy|
|RELIGHT, RELIGHT S.r.l.||Italy|
|Vallone, Vallone S.r.l.||Italy|
|ASEKOL, ASEKOL s.r.o.||Czech Republic|
|REFIIN, ceramics SpA||Italy|
Meta, Meta S.p.A.
48 Via Sacco e Vanzetti
41042 Fiorano (MO) Emilia-RomagnaItaly
Ms Carra Davide
+39 0536 928511
Duration:09/09/2010 to 08/12/2011