The Estonian Ministry of the Environment has as strategic purpose to use the competition for business companies as one of the efficient tools arising company’s awareness as regards environmental economy and cleaner manufacturing.
In Estonia, the competition is called “Environmental Award for Business” and is a part of the annual competition “Environmental Award of the Year”. Together with Business awards they give out an award for the best environmental act.
The competition in Estonia is organised according to the rules of European Business Awards for the Environment with three categories:
- The Management Award
- The Product and Services Award
- The Process Award
- Overall winner and winners of the categories will be given the right to use the environmental label. Label was launched in 2007.
- According to the decision of the evaluation jury, winners and recognised participants will have the opportunity to represent Estonia in the European Business Awards for the Environment.
- In addition, the Estonian Environmental Investment Center will award the overall winner with maximum 35,000 euros for self-development or the improvement of the environmental performance of the company.
- The evaluation jury has the right to present a special award for the combination of business and biodiversity and international cooperation. The special award includes recognition and opportunity to participate in the European Business Awards for the Environment. The decision to present a special award is made by the evaluation jury annually according to the necessity.
- Also, the evaluation jury may decide to recognize other candidates with letters of appreciation.