Air Quality - Existing Legislation
- Directive 2008/50/EC on ambient air quality and cleaner air for Europe including the following elements:
- The merging of most of existing legislation into a single directive (except for the Fourth Daughter Directive) with no change to existing air quality objectives.
- New air quality objectives for PM2.5 (fine particles) including the limit value and exposure related objectives.
- The possibility to discount natural sources of pollution when assessing compliance against limit values.
- The possibility for time extensions of three years (PM10) or up to five years (NO2, benzene) for complying with limit values.
- Directive 2015/1480/EC of 28 August 2015 amending several annexes to Directives 2004/107/EC and 2008/50/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council laying down the rules concerning reference methods, data validation and location of sampling points for the assessment of ambient air quality
- Council Directive 96/62/EC on ambient air quality assessment and management (Air Quality Framework Directive).
- Council Directive 1999/30/EC relating to limit values for sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and oxides of nitrogen, particulate matter and lead in ambient air (First Daughter Directive).
- Directive 2000/69/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council relating to limit values for benzene and carbon monoxide in ambient air (Second Daughter Directive).
- Directive 2002/3/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council relating to ozone in ambient air (Third Daughter Directive).
- Directive 2004/107/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council relating to arsenic, cadmium, mercury, nickel and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in ambient air (Fourth Daughter Directive).
- Council Decision 97/101/EC establishing a reciprocal exchange of information and data from networks and individual stations measuring ambient air pollution within the Member States (EoI Decision).
- Commission Decision 2004/461/EC laying down a questionnaire for annual reporting on ambient air quality assessment under Council Directives 96/62/EC and 1999/30/EC and under Directives 2000/69/EC and 2002/3/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council.
- Commission Decision 2004/224/EC laying down the obligation of Member States to submit within two years so-called Plans and Programmes for those air quality zones where certain assessment thresholds set in the Directives are exceeded.
- Council Directive 80/779/EEC of 15 July 1980 on air quality limit values and guide values for sulphur dioxide and suspended particulates, as last amended by Directive 89/427/EEC
Council Directive 85/203/EEC of 7 March 1985 on air quality standards for nitrogen dioxide, as last amended by Council Directive 85/580/EEC