Virtual Tourism Observatory
A virtual tourism observatory is being proposed as a coordinated approach to gathering and storing information and as a means of guaranteeing greater synergies between different levels of tourism policy making. The observatory will:
- provide reliable, comparable and up-to-date information for tourism policy makers, stakeholders and researchers
- identify trends and developments in the tourism industry
- support evidence-based policy making.
The Observatory will be set up based on the results of a feasibility study to be completed by the beginning of 2013. The Observatory will have 3 sections:
- statistical database for informed, evidence-based policy making. A stock taking exercise of the existing data by the feasibility study will show the state of play of tourism statistics and reveal key areas in which necessary data is missing.
- trends section for delivering regular reports. These will present recent developments and could serve as an early-warning system allowing for accurate policy responses to ongoing changes affecting the tourism sector.
- policy/research watch section for monitoring developments in the sector. It will include a collection of best practices and serve as toolbox for future policy initiatives.
Ideas and suggestions welcome
The EU Commission welcomes ideas and suggestions from the Observatory's future users. Please send your general remarks on the observatory's scope & content and/or your particular needs that you would like it to serve to: ENTR-VTO-IDEAS-BOX@ec.europa.