Implementation in 2011 (Third year)
The preparatory action "Sustainable Tourism" in 2011 focused on the following main objectives:
- Raising awareness of the contribution of different cultures to a common European identity, through the understanding of Europe's history and integration process and common values on the basis of its tangible, intangible and natural heritage;
- Promoting the role of cultural tourism as a factor for sustainable economic development, European citizenship and intercultural dialog;
- Promoting sustainable and responsible tourism within the EU and neighboring countries;
- Reinforcing the image and profile of Europe as a high-quality destination among European and third-country citizens;
- Strengthening the capacity of tourism operators and small enterprises in remote and less known destinations to reach out to new publics, facilitating the exchange of experiences and their networking and clustering efforts;
- Stimulating competitiveness and innovation of the tourism industry in the European Union
The European Commission awarded with grants five transnational projects linked to cross-border,trans-national tourism routes/trails or itineraries and contributing to a more sustainable tourism industry.
These projects were selected on basis of a call for proposals aiming at promoting transnational thematic tourism products and enhancing sustainable tourism development.
|Naturefriends International (Austria)||DanubeHIKE [18 KB]|
|European Greenways Association (Spain)||Greenways4Tour [17 KB]|
|Province of Utrecht (The Netherlands)||Limes Tourism Connection [17 KB]|
|European Cyclists' Federation (Belgium)||EuroVelo.com [17 KB]|
|Associazione Europea delle Vie Francigene (Italy)||PER VIAM Pilgrims' Routes in Action [15 KB]|
Cooperation with the Council of Europe
- Cooperation with the Council of Europe in order to give more visibility to the European cultural routes and its contribution to the development of tourism in Europe by a means of a joint management with the Council of Europe concerning promotion and further development of cultural routes.
- Communication activities focusing at promoting cultural tourism. The Commission foresees to organize a public event (fair/conference) for the promotion of cultural routes. The event would, symbolically, take place at the cross-road of several cultural routes and it would change every year. The first edition of "Crossroads of Europe" will take place on 6th-10th June 2012 in Pavia (Italy) [more info soon ...].