European Tourism Indicators System : for Sustainable Management at Destination Level
Nowadays all tourist destinations are called to tackle social and cultural, economic and environmental key challenges. Being able to effectively measure their sustainable performances has become essential.
Measuring these performances and monitoring its own results will make it possible to local authorities to:
- Get improved data for informed policy decision making
- Establish an intelligent approach to tourism planning
- Identify areas that need improvement
- Prioritize action projects
- Manage risks effectively
- Create benchmarks of performance
The European Commission has developed a European Tourism Indicators System (ETIS): for Sustainable Management at Destination Level, which is a comprehensive system, simple to use, flexible and suitable for all tourism destinations.
The system is designed to be used by tourism destinations to monitor, manage , measure and enhance their sustainability performances, without the need of any specific training.
In order to facilitate the comprehension and the use of the System, a dedicated toolkit (guidelines) is available, which comprises:
- an introductory text to sustainable destination management
- a step-by-step guide to the implementation of the System
- a set of core and optional indicators
- a guide for using the destination dataset
- a dataset sheet
- a detailed indicator reference sheets.
Order a free copy (in all EU languages) of the European Tourism Indicators System Toolkit for Sustainable Destinations
Destinations Dataset [49 KB]
Testing phase and next steps
Two pilot phases will enable to assess the system, with the help of around 100 volunteer destinations for each phase:
- A first pilot phase, running from 15 July 2013 to 15 April 2014,
- A second pilot phase, running from 16 April 2014 to 31 December 2014.
To assess the System through the feedback collected from the destinations, the Commission is assisted by an informal pool of experts.