What is EDEN
EDEN is the acronym for European Destinations of Excellence, a project promoting sustainable tourism development models across the European Union. The project is based on national competitions that take place every year and result in the selection of a tourist “destination of excellence” for each participating country. Through the selection of destinations, EDEN effectively achieves the objective of drawing attention to the values, diversity and common features of European tourist destinations. It enhances the visibility of emerging European destinations, creates a platform for sharing good practices across Europe and promotes networking between awarded destinations.
This European quest for excellence in tourism is developed around an annual theme, chosen by the Commission together with the relevant national tourism bodies. This theme functions as a leitmotif: so far, rural tourism, intangible heritage and protected areas have been the main EDEN themes.
The key feature of the selected destinations is their commitment to social, cultural and environmental sustainability. The recipients of the award are emerging, little known European destinations located in the 27 Member States and candidate countries. The EDEN project helps to spread the sustainable practices used in the chosen destinations across the Union and to turn these places into all-year-round venues. The process thus aims to help de-congest over-visited tourist destinations.
The development of this project is backed by the European Commission which launched the project in 2006 and still plays a crucial coordinating role. Its tasks include encouraging dialogue among stakeholders, co-financing the selection procedures, organising the award ceremony (in the first two years, during the European Tourism Forum) and coordinating a comprehensive communication campaign.
The following material will help you to discover EDEN.
- EDEN brochure (2011) [14 MB]
- EDEN leaflet [265 KB]
- EDEN brochure (2010) [16 MB]
- EDEN project presentation [733 KB]
- EDEN brochure (2009) [16 MB]
- EDEN leaflet (2008) [415 KB]
- EDEN video presentation - advertisement
- EDEN video presentation – general videoEDEN video presentation – general video
- EDEN video presentation – general video part 1 (Long version)EDEN video presentation – general video part 1 (Long version)
- EDEN video presentation – general video part 2 (Long version)EDEN video presentation – general video part 2 (Long version)